Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Random Movement

Posted by Axis 
Random Movement
February 13, 2013 10:04PM
Hi,

I'm new to the forum, new to 3D printers, and new to Python.

I have a self-assembled Prusa Mendel with Wade's Extruder. I installed Arduino 0023, Arduino 1.0.3, Python 2.7.3, PYSerial 2.6, wxPython 2.8, PYReadline 1.7.1, Pyglet 1.1.4, Pronterface, Skeinforge, and Sprinter - all Win32 on Windows 7 x64.

I'm trying to print the test file '20mm-box.stl'. It starts off by printing a rounded square, then a rectangle (20mm x 17mm) inside that. Then it tries to print the fill, but looks nothing like a square, kinda random. Then when it tries to print the second layer it just goes in totally random directions, all over the bed.

Anybody know what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks.
Re: Random Movement
February 14, 2013 10:27AM
Are there little pauses between the random moves? That would suggest too much current in the stepper drivers. If they overheat, they shut down until they cool again. That can happen in less than a second, causing several moves to be skipped.
February 14, 2013 04:33PM
No pauses.
February 14, 2013 04:54PM
Does the gcode look correct in Pronterface? Does the machine always move correctly when moved manually from Pronterface? Everything is calibrated and homes correctly?
February 14, 2013 08:39PM
For the first 10 seconds, the printer moves fine - after that, the motors will randomly make partial movements and clicking sounds. I'll try to adjust the stepper driver current.

Thanks Dale.
February 16, 2013 09:05PM
Yes, I agree that it sounds like the symptoms of stepper skipping. It could also be a mechanical cause of stepper skipping, as in binding or too much friction. I had to rework my bed several times to get the friction and binding out.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login