Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

First print from just completed Mendelmax kit

Posted by Knimrod 
First print from just completed Mendelmax kit
February 10, 2013 05:42PM
Well... Not really my first because I printed two calibration objects but this is my first "thing". I just wanted to invite some advice or constructive criticism. It looks pretty good to me but what do I know? I'm new at this. smiling smiley

I haven't managed to free it from the bed yet (still hasn't cooled 100%) but I'm anxious to try it. This is the knob for my Panelolu display. I'll be printing the case parts next.
Attachments:
open | download - 20130210_171859sm.jpg (267.7 KB)
It is a good part to do a first print. The only thing that i can tell you is: put the (distance to part) of brim = 0. So the brim will touch the part and you will have more surface area to prevent warping.
Re: First print from just completed Mendelmax kit
February 10, 2013 11:47PM
Looks a little better than my first prints, even as good as my current prints, I'm only a couple months in but I'd say that's not too bad at all for starters!
Look at some other peoples first prints and you will feel good about that one. ;-)

How bout some details about your setup?
Firmware
Slicing program
Slicing settings
hotend type/size
filament type/size

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2013 11:48PM by xclusive585.
February 11, 2013 10:01AM
Details... Heh. Let's see. Controller is Sanguinolo 1.3 with Marlin, I used Sli3r 0.9.8 and PrintRun. J-Head MKV Hot End (0.35mm orifice, 3mm ABS filament). This is a kit from Blomker Ind.

Sli3r settings were:
.2mm layer height
.4 fill density
30mm/sec perimiters
60mm/sec infill
.9425 extrusion multiplier
230* extrusion temp
95* bed temp
cooling: off

I think I need to turn cooling on. I tried printing Y axis idler tensioner brackets last night and they came out pretty good until I got to the ears. They were small and stayed mushy while printing, and the nozzle pushed them around pretty good. I think if they had time to harden a bit, they would have been perfect.

I know cooling can restrict the speed but it would seem that a minimum delay between layers might be a better option? Does that exist?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
February 11, 2013 01:53PM
Slic3r has cooling settings, including a setting that slows down speeds on small layers so they have time to cool.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login