Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Blobs!

Posted by rtrahms 
Blobs!
February 05, 2013 08:03PM
Hi all -
Fully calibrated Prusa Mendel I2, 3mm filament, slic3r.

I have been printing many parts, and most come out okay. I do get occasional blobs that seem to accumulate in certain areas of the print, and cause problems with upper layers. Image attached. Anyone had similar issues? What is the cause? As you can see, most of the print is okay, just certain sections have this seemingly random effect.

Help appreciated! I am so close to having repeatably clean prints!

Thanks in advance,
Rob
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_1628.JPG (127.2 KB)
Re: Blobs!
February 05, 2013 08:34PM
And I forgot to mention my retraction is set to 1mm. I am playing around with this parameter now.
February 05, 2013 09:34PM
I have a working theory that this is a bed-leveling issue. I do check levels regularly (four corner method, etc), but I releveled once more and things seem to be much better (no blobs). The theory goes, if the bed gets "out of level" even by a little bit during the print, then plastic will be squished outwards and cause a blob. My heated bed is suspended above the metal plate by four springs in the corners. These are handy for quick leveling, but the screws do come loose over time. Anyone had to deal with this? Locking screws perhaps? I don't want to use loctite or anything, because I do adjust these screws when leveling.

Rob
February 05, 2013 10:07PM
I would say you are too close to the bed on the first layer and have poor adhesion to the bed. I would raise the first layer, apply new tape and clean the tape with acetone right before starting the print. Only a quick wipe, you do not want the tape to get wet. Also do not touch the tape after, the oils in your skin will get on the tape.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
February 06, 2013 06:56AM
Do you change your extruder temperature between the first and following layer ?
On my printer, it waits on the same place until the new temperature has been reached and most of the time, there is still plastic coming slowly off the nozzle creating this kind of blob. (the darker, brownish tone is due to overheating during a too long time)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login