Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

prints go bad after a cm high or so?

Posted by rrr7 
prints go bad after a cm high or so?
January 10, 2013 12:37AM
Does anyone have any suggestions for these prints? After calibrating like Dave Durant suggests and getting the 20mm X 10mm calibration block looking pretty decent at 100% infill, when I print taller objects the filament seems to start to have issues. I don't know if it is extruder temp, no fan, calibration issues or what?

Running a Mendel prusa, ramps 1.4 using, RepetierHost, modified wildseyed .041 nozzle, thermistor buried in heater block (solid steady temps), heated glass bed, 35mm/s, .25mm layers, no fan. 180C with these. I had temp higher at 194C, but more ooze at higher temp and seemed unnecessarily high because that plastic Natureworks 4043D PLA extrudes down to 160C. The spec says its melt point is 135C, so I am working my way down.

The 10% infill snowman base on the left, herringbone extruder gear on the right 100% infill. After the gear lost itself, I tried using a fan and got some amount of recovery higher as the extruder slowly decreased temp. I had no insulation on the heater block at this point temporarily after fixing an extruder jamb, so the fan caused the extruder temp to drop. As it dipped to 175-170C it seemed to recover some detail. That makes me wonder if lower extrusion temp or a fan or both could help or maybe something else?

What do you think?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2013 08:20AM by rrr7.
Attachments:
open | download - 100_6286.jpg (249.9 KB)
open | download - 100_6293.JPG (499 KB)
open | download - 100_6296.JPG (523.4 KB)
VDX
Re: prints go bad after a cm high or so?
January 10, 2013 01:52AM
... try to reduce the temperature of the extruder and maybe the bed too ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
January 10, 2013 04:25AM
Small objects like that will get too hot. You either need to insulate the hot and use a fan, or use a ducted fan, or print several objects at a time so they get time to cool.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
January 10, 2013 08:16AM
Thanks guys! much appreciated.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login