Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

too much horizontal space, unjoined layering issue in vertical walls

Posted by biketool 
too much horizontal space, unjoined layering issue in vertical walls
November 15, 2012 06:21AM
When printing objects with thin vertical walls I have the problem of the printer printing 2-3 vertical layers that are not close enough or filled enough to adhere in both curved and straight runs. What I end up with is 2-3 walls nested inside each other that quickly break as each is only one layer thick.
I am sure this is just me not knowing slic3r options well enough.
This is a Prusa Mendel mod(airwollf3d) and the tip .5mm and filament 3mm diameter settings are correct.
I wasnt sure how to search for this so google couldnt help me.
Otherwise I am amazed at the accuracy of this printer when I use appropriate layer settings for larger more 3D fill objects and how strong they are when shaped right and printed in ABS @ 255deg..

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2012 06:48AM by biketool.
Re: too much horizontal space, unjoined layering issue in vertical walls
November 15, 2012 01:19PM
layer height?
November 16, 2012 05:13AM
Steve
I use layer height from .4mm to .1mm and temps between 230 and 255 depending on the part and how strong and what resolution I need vs speed and warping/cooling, the machine has cut acrylic rigid frame and is well calibrated, the layers are very precise I could probably go down below .1mm resolution, I get great layering and fill on larger objects but thin wall things get this unconnected layering issue.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2012 05:15AM by biketool.
November 16, 2012 07:34AM
this is an example, this bluetooth headset ear hook when flexed shows the unattached layers.
Attachments:
open | download - 20121116_001.jpg (477 KB)
November 16, 2012 12:55PM
Your either under-extruding, or your layer height is slightly off (Z calibration or if it's just the first layer, endstop position.).
November 18, 2012 12:46AM
Poly, I would think the issue would also show up on larger models. To experiment what is the best way to get more extrusion ratio?
November 18, 2012 01:49PM
There is a setting in slicer for some thing like extrusion multiplier, just try setting it to something >1
November 25, 2012 07:00AM
Tried dialing up the extrusion multiplier to 1.2 in slic3r it makes for a messy print but there are still many places where slic3r doesn't fill in, see the tail on this dino vs the globbed fill on the body and globbed up text. At 1.0 I get very clean precise prints so I think it might be a fill computation issue.
Attachments:
open | download - dino.jpg (529.3 KB)
November 25, 2012 12:46PM
I think you have 2 different issues, lines next to each other should touch, this is a flowrate issue, the gaps in that second pictures are slicing issues.

It may just be Slic3rs poor handling of thin wall objects.
If the gap is less than 1 track width it doesn't put any plastic there, you can probably improve the situation somewhat by manually setting the extrusion width in Slic3r.
You want it to be > 1.5x the layer height, and close to the nozzle width. Slic3rs default is on the large side, I use 0.45 for .3mm layers with a 0.5mm nozzle.
You can set all of the extrusion width values to the same value.

I'd you look at the extrusions in the preview are the areas filled?

It looks like you are now over extruding.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2012 12:56PM by Polygonhell.
November 25, 2012 12:46PM
There are alot of extruder speeds between 1 and 1.2. Your correct extruder value looks to be between these two values. You need to dial it in. Run a 1.1 test and go from there.

Go up or down from 1.1 if it is too much or too little. Next half at 1.05 or 1.15 for the next test depending on 1.1 result. Then 1.025, 1.075, 1.125, or 1.175, depending on your 1.05 or 1.15 print.

You need to go out to at least 2 decimal places. A .01 value can affect your final print quality, such as small blobs at the start of a layer, and stinging between parts.

When dialed in you should not have a retraction value greater than 1mm, because you are laying down the correct ammount of material.

Or, if you are close at 1.0, step up in .01 values. You might end up with 1.02, or 1.04.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2012 12:51PM by Dirty Steve.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login