Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

dual extruder shifted parts

Posted by Schild0r 
dual extruder shifted parts
April 12, 2017 10:40AM
Hey there,

I just finished my project in which I added a second extruder to my printer.
So now I wanted to do a print job, consisting of two parts.
So I put the parts in Repetier Host, positioned them (one part has to be on top of the other part),
sliced them with Slic3r with my settings and got a fine preview (see attached file).

I then started the print and recognized a few "things"
1. After printing the skirt the machine behave like it would change tools (15mm retraction) but did not change the tool so it loaded 15mm of filament again + "1mm extra length on restart" and printed on with the same nozzle (which it was supposed to do)
2. The skirt was well positioned (where I wanted it to be) but the (lower) part was shifted to the left (~40mm)
3. the upper part was shifted even more to the left (~100mm) thus it was printed in mid-air...

So my questions are how to fix this and why the preview is different from what the machine does.

I tried to load the parts in Slic3r (standalone version) but I can not position them there in z-direction (so the upper part would lay on the platform as well) is there any workaround to get this working in Slic3r too without having to create two seperate gcodes (one for each part)?
Attachments:
open | download - Unbenannt.PNG (416.9 KB)
Re: dual extruder shifted parts
April 12, 2017 11:34AM
Actually slic3r prints as many skirt lines as there are tools defined. That helps to prime each nozzle ( even when they are virtual, like with Diamond hotend )

Your shifting problem might be a mistake with the nozzle offset. You can set the offset in firmware and in the slicer, but only one option should be used.
I prefer the slicer, for ease of adjustment.
April 12, 2017 01:47PM
Thanks this is quite helpful thumbs up
Does that also apply for firmware, slicer and repetier (that the part may be shifted not only once but twice)?
So I have to remove the offset settings out of repetier AND the firmware?
By the way: does this also apply to the bed shape? (Because I set the bed shape in Repetier and in Slic3r)

But I had two skirt Lines and both were of the same color and the "tool change" was only done once after printing of both lines and the printer did not make any movement for printing a skirt with the second nozzle so this behaviour is still weird to me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2017 01:48PM by Schild0r.
April 18, 2017 03:14AM
Update:
I checked my Firmware and noticed that I have not defined any Offset for my second nozzle there.
But it was defined in Slic3r and in Repetier.
So I set it to zero in Repetier but the behaviour is just the same as before...
April 18, 2017 03:55AM
Maybe it's the way you load the parts into slic3r?
I don't know how to describe, but both parts should be designed together ( so both parts have the same origin ) and then split apart to enable slic3r to assign different tools to each shell. Actually you have to assign the tool yourself in the settings window .

Also you have to load one part in slic3r, select it and click "settings/load part" to load the next part.
That way, the parts get aligned the way you designed it before.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2017 03:57AM by o_lampe.
April 18, 2017 08:14AM
I dont load them into Slic3r
I load them into Repetier where I can position them as I want (even in z direction)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login