Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

a few issues left

Posted by cwahlin 
a few issues left
July 29, 2012 12:33PM
I have been printing for about a week now on my reprap pro huxley. This is my first 3D printer but I have been reading on the forum for quite some time.

I am getting pretty decent prints. The thin-wall test and cube are almost perfect. I am making my own quad-copter which the pieces are also turning out nice. Yesterday I wanted to impress on my wife and printed a 70mm Yoda. In the pictures bellow you can see some of the issues I have with this print. At the back of the neck by the robe I am getting gaps. This also happens on the top of his head. I get som drooping from his left ear, and you can also se that he has a severe skin problem om his left cheek (I think this is where it starts each new layer). The chin is also saging a bit but I I think this might need support to be perfect (?).

I am slicing using slic3r 0.8.4.
Layer hight 0.25
solid layers and perimeters 3
printing pretty slow at 25 and infil at 55
infil is at 11%

Everything on the advanced tab is default (mostly 0).

I am using faberdashery white at 200 degrees. Not really sure where my heated bed is because my thermistor is showing the wrong value. I think I am at about 65.

Any help to get a better print is appreciated! smiling smiley

/Carl
Attachments:
open | download - bild 4.JPG (81.9 KB)
open | download - bild 3.JPG (76.7 KB)
open | download - bild 2.JPG (72.7 KB)
open | download - bild 1.JPG (79 KB)
Re: a few issues left
July 29, 2012 01:29PM
You didn't say whether you are using ABS or PLA. From the temperature settings I assume you are using PLA. You may need a fan blowing over your print to help with the steep overhangs such as the ears and chin.

To fix the gaps you need to increase the number of perimeters.

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
Re: a few issues left
July 30, 2012 03:16AM
Yes, I am printing with PLA.

I'll give a fan and som more perimeters a try. What about his skin problem om the left cheek? I think its too much plastic where the printer starts each new layer. More retraction? Randomize starting point in Slic3r does not seem to work very well.

/Carl
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login