Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Squiggly Print, not solid

Posted by wahaha686 
Squiggly Print, not solid
December 29, 2011 01:25AM
Recently bought a used Lulzbot Prusa Mendel, basically it printed kinda squiggly (see image attached) and not solid.
I'm thinking that either
-the bed was not hot enough (even though it was 110 c)
-a motor rate was too fast
-something with the skeining went wrong (although this was their sample file)

Anyone can point me in the right direction

DISCLAIMER: I am a newbie
Attachments:
open | download - 01 squiqly print.jpg (67.8 KB)
Re: Squiggly Print, not solid
December 29, 2011 02:30PM
It is kind of hard to tell from the photo, but it appears it didnt stick to the bed.

Make sure your Z height is calibrated. You'll want the nozzle just oh-so-little above the bed when it does its first layer (like the distance of two sheets of paper thickness or so).
December 29, 2011 02:40PM
Also, which sample file were you using? We didn't send any out with the ebay printers.

I recommend installing slic3r from [www.slic3r.org] and generating your own .gcode with that.

Have fun,

-Jeff Moe
December 29, 2011 06:13PM
What's the build surface? It looks like PET on glass on the photo but it's hard to be sure. Are you printing ABS? I agree that it looks like it didn't stick well. But I don't agree that it has to be much closer to the bed on the first layer than the layer height. I normally print my first layers the same as the layer height with Kapton on aluminum at 120 C to make sure it sticks well. You should try increasing your bed temperature or nozzle temperature. Also, you might need to slow down the feed and flow rate for the first layer: <20 mm/s would be a good place to start.
December 30, 2011 10:45AM
The glass is covered with PET and it's printing ABS.

I will try calibrating the Z axis and the build surface temperature as well.
January 01, 2012 05:28PM
can you measure the heatbed temperature?

try to extrude manually about 20-50mm filament to see if your extruder works correct.
i think hardware extruder problem...

ben

-----------------------------------------------

www.geeksbase.com
- 3D Printing - Prototyping - DIY - Microcontroller - Development
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login