Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Welcome To All Canberra RepRappers

Posted by nhand42 
Welcome To All Canberra RepRappers
October 28, 2011 05:27PM
Welcome to all Canberra reprappers. If you're interested in repraps, no matter your current level of involvement, please introduce yourself.

My name is Nathan. I currently have a Thing-O-Matic and my goal is to build a larger reprap using the TOM as a bootstrap.
Re: Welcome To All Canberra RepRappers
October 30, 2011 11:28PM
Good Stuff Nathan and other Canberraites.

Looking forward to discussions in the group.

After some research, Working towards Building a Mendel Max.

Peter
November 08, 2011 06:46PM
Hi,

My name is Glen.

I have sourced the plastic parts for a Prusa Mendel. But I am a bit lost as to where to get the vitamins from? Any ideas where to start?

Thanks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2011 06:47PM by Captain_Glen.
November 10, 2011 06:28AM
Hi Glen

I Have got the threaded rod cut to length, Got it from Andrew Herztog Steel, You can have mine as I am going to build a Mendel Max.

You can get nuts from there as well very cheap.

bearings should be easy enough through a skate store.

I am hoping to have an account set up with Misumi Before long to get timing belts etc.

Peter
November 11, 2011 03:17PM
aaapm2000 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I Have got the threaded rod cut to length, Got
> it from Andrew Herztog Steel, You can have mine
> as I am going to build a Mendel Max.
>
> You can get nuts from there as well very cheap.

That's great. I'll create a sticky thread with all the Canberra locations for vitamins.
December 15, 2011 11:55PM
Hi Peter,

I am interested in purchasing your threaded rod. However I am still unsure about what other vitamins I need.

Is there a user group where people can go to meet up and get help? I was thinking maybe the Canberra Linux Users Group but I am not sure if this is appropriate.

Thanks.
Glen.
January 10, 2012 04:36AM
I'm new to the scene and have started sourcing parts for the Mendel Prusa. What size rods are needed for the Prusa? I'm building the version which uses the LM8UU linear bearings. How much did Hertzog charge for the rods?
January 13, 2012 07:14AM
Captain_Glen Wrote:

> Is there a user group where people can go to meet
> up and get help?

At the moment there isn't but I'd like there to be one. This forum can help us find each other.

I'm willing to help bootstrap a few people's printers by printing parts.

Although not too many because my poor 3D printer is already showing signs of distress.
January 13, 2012 07:18AM
Captain_Glen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> I have sourced the plastic parts for a Prusa
> Mendel. But I am a bit lost as to where to get
> the vitamins from? Any ideas where to start?

I picked up some LM8UU linear bearings and 693 skate bearings off eBay. They're cheap and you only get what you pay for, but they're fine for the job.
Hello,
I am travelling to the UK at the end of the month and catching up with a number of 3D printing people, including Dr Adrian Bowyer the inventor of the RepRap. If there are questions you have for him, let me know and I'll put them to him. I only have an hour of his time, but if I don't get to ask everything I'll follow up with other questions.
He seemed pleased to receive a call and happily set aside some time in his diary.
Some background on him can be found at [en.wikipedia.org]
Ian
January 25, 2012 01:02AM
It would be interestering to ask what things have been unexpected for the rep rap project, and how people have used the ideas in the ways.
January 09, 2013 10:08PM
Hi All,

My name is Andrew and I have just ordered a Prusa Mendel from Emblem Robotics in Tassie.

Should be here in a couple of weeks.

Am keen to get to know 3D printer people in Canberra etc. Will be a noob to this and will be looking for any help/advice I can get.

Will let everyone know once I am operational.

Cheers

Andrew
Gday Andrew

Mate am probably in the same spot you were a few months ago... How did you go with your unit or is it still in progress...? Looking to hook up with someone sooner or later if anyone interested - Many hands as they say...

Chrisso
Mob
0431 334 250
August 18, 2013 11:13AM
Hi Chris,

Activity on this forum is quite low but we're still happy to see new arrivals. Welcome.

There is no official meeting place for the RUG. However there is a Maker meeting at the Make Hack Void workshop in Downer this Tuesday 20 August at 6:15pm.

[www.makehackvoid.com]

Make Hack Void has no relationship with the RUG, but they're open to members and non-members and entry is free. I think they'll be as good a place as any to meet makers in Canberra.

Cheers,
Nathan Hand
September 12, 2013 01:53AM
Hi Canberra RepRappers,

Im new to this wonderful and exciting world of RepRap

Like Andrew, I also have a Prussa Mendel from Emblem. Owned it for two months and being a little time poor, I'm finding calibration to be a little frustrating.

Looking to connect with 3D printer people in the region, always up for a chat, and willing to accept advice whenever available.

Cheers,

Adam.
October 27, 2013 08:14PM
Hey all,

Hows everything travelling in the Canberra region WRT RepRap?

Still battling with Cal myself.

Anyone local an IRC regular?

Cheers,

Adam.
November 02, 2013 06:11PM
Hi all RepRappers

also a Canberra RepRap Mendel owner, have had it up and running for about a year now, only found this forum today (googleing something else and found this)

calibration, its a trick, lots of things to get right. the way I did it in the end for the x-y was us maths, there is a formula to find steps/mm, off the top of my head standard setup for the mendel is 80 for both x-y, if you find that you use the correct steps/mm found from the formula (found in the calibration forum) gives you incorrect sized prints, the issue is something else. look for binding, loose belts, over tight belts and lash. for the z I used a similar method to calibrate the extruder

attached (I hope) is a pic of an idler I printed for my t2.5 belt, the teeth are .7mm diam, and the centre is a press fit for an 8mm bearing

hope this helps

cheers Widget
November 14, 2013 05:39AM
Hi all,

I'm a newbie to the world of 3D printers, I purchased a MendelMax 1.5 kit way back in July, the mob in America where I purchased it from forgot to put a lot of the parts in the kit so as time went by I contacted them on a number of occasions and they sent the parts out along with small gifts of parts as recompense for their mistakes. Anyway... to cut a long story short, I am about 90% done with the build and I decided to compile and upload Marlin (which I downloaded from their Dropbox site) but it seems to come up with one hell of a lot of errors, so I was wondering if someone in Canberra could help me out with fixing this problem?

The specs of my printer are: MendelMax 1.5, Taurino Mega 2560 board, Ramps 1.4, LCD screen with SD card slot, Wade extruder and Budaschnozzle 1.1 Type Hotend (and a few other bits and pieces)...

Cheers,
Glenn
November 16, 2013 09:56PM
...anybody out there??
November 17, 2013 04:31PM
Hi Glenn,

I'd recommend you go visit the guys at MakeHackVoid (the Canberra Hackerspace).

[www.makehackvoid.com]

Say hi from those of us in Melbourne. winking smiley

Note: You can probably get away with just taking your Taurino/Ramps/Pololu package along to MHV - You don't need it connected to the printer to get it going.

PS: You need to download the Taurino driver from [taurinopower.reprapdiscount.com] if you want to program it from Windows. I've not yet tried a Taurino on other platforms (Mac/Linux) to know what the driver situation is there.
November 18, 2013 04:33AM
Hi Cefiar,

Thank you very much for your suggestion, to be honest I have never heard of them before but it sounds like a great idea thumbs up grinning smiley

Cheers,
Glenn

Cefiar
Hi Glenn,

I'd recommend you go visit the guys at MakeHackVoid (the Canberra Hackerspace).

[www.makehackvoid.com]

Say hi from those of us in Melbourne. winking smiley

Note: You can probably get away with just taking your Taurino/Ramps/Pololu package along to MHV - You don't need it connected to the printer to get it going.

PS: You need to download the Taurino driver from [taurinopower.reprapdiscount.com] if you want to program it from Windows. I've not yet tried a Taurino on other platforms (Mac/Linux) to know what the driver situation is there.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login