Canada, Fraser Valley B.C. RUG  :  Reprap Forum The fastest message board... ever.

Hello from BC based 3D Systems distributor
Posted by: coaster33 ()
Date: June 24, 2012 12:31PM

Hi RepRap,
I am a newbie to this forum.
I recently became the Western Canadian distributor for 3D Systems. Currently have a ZPrint Z650 in house. I don't have the Projet or Z Scanners yet.

Fully aware that RepRap is more of a do it yourself community, however just want to connect with like minded individuals, and maybe offer something to the community from a commercial perspective. If you have any questions, ask away.

The largest challenge I seem to face is the lack of awareness in industry of the benefits and capabilities of 3D printing? Other than the Maker Faire, are there any other similar events in Western Canada?

Here's a link to my website www.3designproducts.ca
Cheers,

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Hello from BC based 3D Systems distributor
Posted by: johnbiehler ()
Date: June 25, 2012 10:18PM

Welcome!

As you probably gathered, most of the folks here are more hobbyist/DIY than industrial or commercial users but we do get plenty of questions about the commercial applications and machines and some of us have day jobs or school that work with the bigger machines.

Did you make it out to MakerFaire at all? We chatted with literally thousands of people about this stuff for 2 days straight and had many ask us about commercial printers and applications.

I'd like to invite you out to one of our regular meetings in Langley as our group is interested in all aspects and applications. Next meeting is on Wednesday at 7pm at the Boston Pizza next to Colossus at 200th & Hwy 1.

John

[johnbiehler.com]

Date: June 26, 2012 10:28AM

Hi John

Unfortunately I was not able to make it out to the MakerFaire. In fact I only discovered the MakerFaire on Sunday June 24, and really wish I had discovered it earlier. I have submitted an email to the organizers to learn more about it, and perhaps become a sponsor, or exhibitor.

Thank you for the invite to the meet up and will plan to come out to a future event, but can't get to the one on June 27.

Like everyone here, I have personal interest in 3D printing, and got involved out of curiousity, which then turned into a full fledged business effort. However I have found local industry is not very proactive, and the commericial benefits of 3D printing are not understood by many. In the Eastern USA 3D printer use in business is quite common, and even some high schools have machines. However in BC, business still considers it science fiction.

I ask if the community would be interested in seeing the Z650 printer in action? I could take the shell apart to display the inner workings? It may generate some ideas for your own machines, or explain how Z Corp overcame some engineering issues?

Posted by: johnbiehler ()
Date: June 26, 2012 11:14AM

We meet every 2 weeks so I'm sure you'll get out to one soon.

I'm pretty sure we'd love to check out the machine for exactly the reasons you said. One of our members has a BFB 3D Touch which was quite a hit at MakerFaire thanks to the giant Yoda head Andrew had printed with it. But also, the mechanical build of these larger machines has lots to offer the reprap crowd.

Do you have a showroom or some place the machine is setup or would you bring it to a location for the show and tell?

As we currently meet in a restaurant, having machines at the meeting isn't normally feasible but that doesn't mean would can't move the meeting to a different location.

This is something I was discussing with a number of teachers and educators at MakerFaire - our club could provide some machines and the school could provide the space to show them, work on them, etc. and we could possibly even give a talk about them to the students.

It's really too bad you couldn't make it to the Faire. There is another one coming up next month in Victoria and later this year in Calgary so you have more chances.

[johnbiehler.com]

Date: June 26, 2012 01:00PM

The Z650 is approx 7 feet long and 700lbs so mobility is an issue. However, the machine is in my office in South Surrey area. If you wanted to schedule something out front, I would be open to the idea of having a meeting at my office to check out the machine?

I will google up the Van Island and Calgary MakerFaire, thanks for the tip!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.