Canada, Fraser Valley B.C. RUG  :  Reprap Forum The fastest message board... ever.

Maker Faire Vancouver 2012
Posted by: Sublime ()
Date: March 02, 2012 11:15PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Maker Faire Vancouver 2012
Posted by: johnbiehler ()
Date: March 03, 2012 11:44AM

Heh...we've been chatting about this on Facebook.

Sounds like myself and Derek are interested so far...

[johnbiehler.com]

Date: March 03, 2012 01:50PM

Sweet keep me informed with what you guys figure out.

We will need to put in our application as soon as possible.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver

Posted by: gonzo007 ()
Date: March 05, 2012 03:49PM

Not in for a table. But I have booked this weekend with the family. Will not be missing this years event.

Colin

Posted by: rantenki ()
Date: March 06, 2012 12:16AM

I chatted with the organizers this weekend, and they are hyped on the idea as well. I'll put in for a table, and we can maybe grow it if there is a need for more space. I think we'll not have any trouble getting either printers or staff to watch it. I'll be getting my own booth as well, just like last year. I'll reach out to the Vancouver group as well.

- Derek

New Citadel Mendel
Our Maker Faire projects.
677 mm/s rapids.
Old Sherline/EMC2 first run.

Date: March 06, 2012 12:22AM

Hey Derek...what are your thoughts about a printer table that has parts/prints/prusa kits for sale vs simply a table for the reprap group?

Just debating if the cost/trouble would be worth the effort to get a table to sell stuff vs simply showing our printers.

[johnbiehler.com]

Date: March 06, 2012 06:24PM

I was actually thinking of selling PRUSAs myself. Anybody selling anything needs to get a commercial table, which is a bit more expensive.

New Citadel Mendel
677 mm/s rapids.

Date: March 26, 2012 06:18PM

OK. Just a quick callout, if you (any prospective attendee) have a quick 1 line BIO for the application, if you could put it in here so that I can paste it into the application?

Cheers!
- Derek

New Citadel Mendel
677 mm/s rapids.

Posted by: Glitch3DModels ()
Date: March 28, 2012 01:16AM

Thanks Derek,

For everybody out there reading: There will be multiple 3D printers operating at the Vancouver Mini Maker Faire June 23 & 24. Join us in the demonstration or come check it out and ask questions.

Andrew
@Glitch3DModels
Glitch3DModels.tumblr.com
Vancouver, BC, Canada

Date: April 23, 2012 10:31PM

Just a little update. We do have space reserved for a 3D printer village. If you would like to be part of it please speak up so we can be sure to have enough space.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog

Posted by: kburr ()
Date: April 23, 2012 10:40PM

I would very much like to have my machine there.

Date: April 24, 2012 04:09PM

Just a quick run down of the machines that will be there so far.

4x Tantillus' (3 are mine 1 is Johns)
2x Makerbot Thin-o-matic's (Kurtis and John)
1x BFB touch (Andrew)
1x Citadel Mendel (Derek)
1x Makerbot Replicator (Gerald)
1x Laser cut Mendel (Eugene)

At least 2 Prusa Mendels (Johns and mine)

Possibly my RepStrap as people like seeing how things started.

If I have missed you please let me know, it would be nice to have a complete list of machines.

Brad

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2012 02:50AM by Sublime.

Date: April 24, 2012 04:20PM

Gerald Orban has a Replicator and said on FB that he wants to participate too.

[johnbiehler.com]

Date: April 24, 2012 04:34PM

Posted by: ECSuyu ()
Date: April 24, 2012 11:29PM

I'll be there with my machine as well.

Date: June 06, 2012 06:36PM

18 more days. Be sure to get your printers organized and ready for transport.

Also have you seen we are officially on the list of makers to be at the Vancouver Maker Faire?

Date: June 08, 2012 06:49PM

From Andrew at VHS: Andrew Milne (ask Derek for email contact)

Hello!

Jesse, Vincent and I are going to go to 2 of the North Van elementary schools to do an assembly promoting Maker Faire.

Three questions:

1) Is there someone with a quadcopter who is willing to come fly it around a school gym to get some kids riled up??
[No need to present if you don't want to, you can just pilot the thing around. I can arrange transportation]

2) Is there someone with a 3D printer who would like to come show off their machine? I will bring my printer, but it really wouldn't hurt to have a backup.
[How do I get in touch with the Fraser Valley printer club anyway? I think maybe one of the members there might be interested.]

3) Does anyone have ideas for classroom activities that we might leave with the teachers to do as a tie in to the assembly and Maker Faire?
[Off the top of my head I can think of things like play dough circuits and Makey Makey. Remember these will be elementary schools so the activities would have to be super introductory.]

Thanks!

Ahh, yes, dates. The assembly is on Friday June 15th. 9:00 - 12:00 in North Van. I can arrange for a ride.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2012 06:50PM by rantenki.

New Citadel Mendel
677 mm/s rapids.

Date: June 09, 2012 03:30AM

rantenki Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 1) Is there someone with a quadcopter who is
> willing to come fly it around a school gym to get
> some kids riled up??

I have a really old one that uses a mechanical gyro but I don't think it would really cut it with todays PS3 kids.

> 2) Is there someone with a 3D printer who would
> like to come show off their machine? I will bring
> my printer, but it really wouldn't hurt to have a
> backup.

I could bring a Tantillus.

> 3) Does anyone have ideas for classroom activities
> that we might leave with the teachers to do as a
> tie in to the assembly and Maker Faire?

Cardboard furniture. It only takes a pair of safety scissors and 30 kids to make a couch in an hour.

It can be simple

Fun

Or absolute pieces of art

And these are only the easy to make laminated ones.
The ones where people interlock the parts are amazing.

> Ahh, yes, dates. The assembly is on Friday June
> 15th. 9:00 - 12:00 in North Van. I can arrange for
> a ride.

Only thing I have going then is the end of my Indiegogo campaign.

Date: June 09, 2012 03:57PM

Damn, this only got posted to the FVReprap facebook, and it is later today;

Hi everyone,

Here's a couple of important things that you need to know for Vancouver Mini Maker Faire. We're less than 3 weeks away from the event; I hope you're not all going too crazy!

1 - Maker Crew List

Please use this form to let us know who will be part of your crew, helping you out at your booth for the event.

[vancouvermakerfaire.wufoo.com]

2 - Maker Information Meeting

It's time for another Maker Town Hall, this time at the location of the event; the Forum building at the PNE on Saturday June 9th from 3-5pm. I don't expect it to go the whole length of time, but we have the time should we need it. We will mainly be touring the facility, going over the floorplan, and discussing the check-in, load-in/setup, and tear-down procedures.

[maps.google.com]

The Forum building is located in the south-west corner of the PNE (right under the pin in the above map), at the corner of Hastings St and Renfew St. I expect that we will be entering through doors on the west side of the building next to the loading ramp (I will let you know if this changes).

By car
From downtown head along Hastings until you get to Renfrew, then turn North onto Renfrew and it’s the first entrance on the right (Forum Gate 2). Park in the parking lot that is between the building and Renfew St (immediately to the right past the gate).

There will be a parking attendant at the gate; just tell them that you're here for the Vancouver Mini Maker Faire Maker meeting and they'll let you in without charge.

By bus
Buses 014, 016, 135, and 160 all stop on the corner of Hastings and Renfrew.

Regards,

Date: June 09, 2012 04:12PM

Note that I've already submitted the crew form for the 3d Printer Village...if you need anyone else on the list, let me know rather than submitting the form.

[johnbiehler.com]

Date: June 11, 2012 03:53AM

We only have a week and a half until Maker faire. Be sure to come out to this weeks RepRap meeting on Wednesday the 13 at Boston Pizza in Walnut grove to get all the details.

We have a 30 foot booth and will be the very first thing everyone sees when they enter the event.

Date: June 18, 2012 01:27AM

Just for anybody that didn't get the 411: Setup time is Friday the 22nd at 12:45PM, and we can take as long as we need, up to the venue closing down at 8:00PM. I'll be there at noon and probably setting up til 4:30 or so, maybe longer. If anybody needs any specific tools or whatnot, ping me here and I'll do my best to bring them along.

Cheers;
- Derek

New Citadel Mendel
677 mm/s rapids.

Date: June 19, 2012 11:57PM

Received this data literally 5 minutes ago:

Hi Makers!

Let me start out by apologizing that this information has been so severely delayed, but I'm glad to say that I'm finally able to provide you with some much needed information about the event this weekend!

I've created a wiki as the central hub that I'm linking everything from, to ensure that you all have access to the latest information:
[wiki.makerfaire.ca]

You will find there the floorplan, a document with information on the event and procedures, as well as a check-in schedule for Friday (for most people). Please look over all these files as soon as possible, especially the check-in time that you have been assigned - and get back to me if you need to change. Please be aware however that "late" times are very high in demand, and if you have a complex setup or are far from the loading-ramp, that you will have to check-in early as others around you will be coming in after.

Thanks everyone for your understanding on this, and let's have an awesome weekend! There's a lot of AMAZING things going on!

Regards,

Richard Sim

Date: June 21, 2012 05:51PM

Date: June 22, 2012 02:03AM

So ready. Just packed up the display, CNC, 3dprinter, and tools.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.