Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Helping the poor and ourselves

Posted by Ant 
Ant
Helping the poor and ourselves
February 02, 2014 01:13PM
I'm creating something that will be a sort of "inventor's paradise". It'll make it possible for people to do things... which might make you think of 3d printers... Think of the ultamate hackerspace. A place where you can use any tools or machines you may need to invent something. Where you can get help on your projects as well.

Now imagine that you have lots of time to work on your ideas, 'cause your needs (food and shelter, etc.) are taken care of.

You can treat it like a hacker space, where you pay a monthly fee to use it, or you can use it for free if everything you do that is open source or belongs to the space, or you can live there and have everything you need without an outside job.

There's lots of poor people, even homeless people, who have amazing skills, which just need to be put to use. Those people could become productive, in the right environment.

That's what I'm working on.

To make this happen, we need to get an income source. Something which will support it. We need to start a business, which will provide the money needed to make this happen. That business can also be something that will help the poor, 'cause there's plenty of money that can be made in that area.

Looking for people who want to help make this happen.

I have a slightly different philosophy on 3D printers. I agree that they are extremely valuable in helping the poor. I just think they need to be affordable to the poor, so that is my angle on that. At the moment, I don't see a whole lot of people giving them away, so I think the poor need to be able to get their own. That is doable though.

Tony

Creating the society of the future
[conceivia.com]
Ant
Re: Helping the poor and ourselves
February 02, 2014 01:40PM
A simplified version of that, is I'm looking for people who want to work on cool projects, electronics, and programming, and mechanical stuff.

Tony
Re: Helping the poor and ourselves
December 28, 2016 04:45PM
That's a very cool idea. My time is limited but I would be interested in helping out. The problem always seems to be liability insurance. Somebody with a big enough bankroll should be able to get the infrastructure going. I saw something recently about an East Austin project which was providing housing and opportunity to make and sell stuff. I thought that was a really great idea and it sounds like what you're talking about...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login