Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

RAMPS 1.4 Motors not turnning on?

Posted by HellMonkey78 
RAMPS 1.4 Motors not turnning on?
September 22, 2011 01:07AM
I just purchased RAMPS v1.4 from Ultimachine and am having a heard time getting power to the motors.

If I install the johnnyr/Sprinter firmware (Don't understand why it took me so long to find it) and set the board = to 33 in config, I seam to get no power to the motors. I've made no other changes to the firmware other than uncommenting the #define command for RAMPS v1.3 and double checking the pin assignments. All of the optical end stop LEDs are on. I triggered the stops to see if a motor would turn on and got nothing.

I'm convinced that I ether have insufficient power or I'm not configuring the firmware right.

Q:
How much power should this board draw at a stand still?

Q:
What are the firmware defaults for Sprinter using RAMPS v1.4?

Thank you to anyone that can help. After nearly getting shafted by BotMill I just want to make sure my electronics are working. 300+ dollars is a lot of money for me.

Thanks so much.
Re: RAMPS 1.4 Motors not turnning on?
September 23, 2011 08:19AM
Did you mean this firmware: [github.com]?

Double check the wiring to your motors.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2011 08:22AM by brnrd.
September 23, 2011 11:17AM
If I could get ether the johnnr/Sprinter or the Kliment/Sprinter configured right that would be great. They look the same to me. Everything is connected correctly. I've checked it multiple times.

Q
Is there anything els you have to do to configure the firmware other than editing the config.h and the pins.h file and uploading to the Arduino? If so, what? If not, what are the firmware defaults for Sprinter using RAMPS v1.4?

Q:
How much power should this board draw at a stand still? Will the board even turn on if the current is less than 5A?
September 23, 2011 12:21PM
What host software are you using to talk to your printer? I would recomment using kliment's pronterface which is part of print run. You can also use repsnapper. Note that interupting the opto endstop would not run your motor. You need to send move commands from the host software.

If you built a Prusa, then I think selecting the right motherboard (33) which you already did should be enough to make the motors work. The only other settings that you need to change are the thermistors settings and whether you have a heated bed or not.
September 26, 2011 04:10PM
Well I've ordered a new power supply that I know will work. I'm going to try installing pronterface if it will run on Ubuntu 10.4.

I thought the motors would not turn but at least engage when power was supplied to the board?
Re: RAMPS 1.4 Motors not turnning on. Fixed!
September 29, 2011 10:39PM
Finally! OK, the motors were not turning on because there wasn't sufficient power. Although I was using a 12v ATX power supply, the supply wasn't giving me the right amps. So I ordered a new supply, installed pronterface, and it looks to be working fine. I found out the motors are not suppose to turn on until the client software sends a move command.

SWEET!!

Here is a link to the supply I'm using.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004CIW8LA

Thanks so much for your help.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login