Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Electronics basics?

Posted by clooner 
Electronics basics?
August 16, 2011 08:22AM
I have all the mechanics setup and ready to drop in the electronics. It has been a while since I touched electronics so I don't want to do to much complex things. What I want to do is buy a RAMPS v1.4 assembled board and an Arduino MEGA (Which version?) completely assembled and the stepper drivers complete. Is this all I need for the basics of electronics?

Also the Wiki says the electronics will be around 90 USD to 100 USD and with the other parts the wiki has been spot on but it is more realistic to say that the electronics will be double of that or am I making a mistake somewhere or is it really that much cheaper to do all the soldering myself?
Re: Electronics basics?
August 16, 2011 02:38PM
Also what Arduino Mega should I order the 1280 or the 2560. I like to order the 1280 but I recall reading somewhere the 1280 is more compatible or is there really no difference between the two except the one has more memory and a better usb interface?
VDX
August 17, 2011 02:04AM
... the 2560 has a separate controller for the USB-interface, which can be programmed to different modes, but can cause communication problems wit some OSes ... the 1280 has a common FTDI-USB-Chip, so is more compatible ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
August 17, 2011 10:31AM
A fully built RAMPS 1.4 Board with Arduino Mega, 4 Pololu drivers and Optical Endstops Runs about $226 before shipping from Ultimachine. [ultimachine.com]

If you are looking to save money Sanguinololu can be had with Pololus with out endstops for about $160. PM me if you want to go this route I have some for sale.

Charles Gantt.
Build blog [themakersworkbench.com] <---- my personal site
Build worklong [www.thebestcasescenario.com]
August 18, 2011 12:54AM
You could also go for RAMPS 1.2, which is easier to build yourself and cheaper preassembled

reprapworld.com
PLA, ABS, PETG multiple colors (3 and 1.75 mm) €16,49 / kg
Megatronics 3.0 €79.99 / Minitronics €37,19
August 18, 2011 08:40AM
What is the experience with using arduino boards purchased of ebay? They sell arduino mega boards for about 25 USD. So If I get one of those + a Ramps 1.4 board which goes here in the forum for about 45 USD I will still need the 4x stepper drivers which go for a total of 40 USD and the endstops of 20 USD(Guess) my total will be 130 USD. Will this be everything I need or will I need something else?
August 20, 2011 04:04AM
about eBay: some months ago I got a couple of RAMPS 1.25 PCBs (Martijn in The Netherlands I think) and soldered the necessary stuff myself. Very straightforward and easy, big parts, if you do electronic projects from time to time you already have most of the needed components and get to significant savings. I think the 1.2 branch with big through-hole components is well worth being kept alive and up-to-date.

Arduino boards from eBay: several months on, no problems so far with a "chinduino" 1280 and a Mega 2560 with a similar pedigree. Had problems last year with the bootloader of a HACEDuino duemila, it only accepts ICSP flashing. Haven't seen it on sale since then

Components from similar origins: No problems so far. Happened only once: upon connection (no polarity inversion, I promise) and first power up, a brand new 220uF electrolytical capacitor just uttered a big PANG! and went straight to capacitor's paradise. Now I understand why they weaken the capacitor's aluminium tops with a cross, at least when they blow up you don't have tiny pieces of shrapnel all around and stuck in your face.
August 22, 2011 08:51AM
You also need a power supply.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login