Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

RAMPS 1.4 and D1

Posted by krunchy 
RAMPS 1.4 and D1
August 13, 2011 07:04PM
Hello All,

I'm planning on using an old ATX power supply via the 2x2 connector. Based on this link (D2, D2 - Diodes), I believe I need to install D1. Can someone confirm this?

I'm still waiting on parts, so to test my Arduino, I uploaded the "Blink" example. It works fine when powered from USB, but if I use the ATX power supply, nothing happens. I don't currently have D1 connected, is this the expected behavior? Am I risking damage to my board by not having D1 installed when doing this?

TIA!
Re: RAMPS 1.4 and D1
August 15, 2011 12:47AM
As that page said, with D1 the Arduino is powered from the ATX supply. Some people believe that it might damage the Arduino when doing this.

Without D1 the Arduino board won't have power. So this is expected behaviour smiling smiley

reprapworld.com
PLA, ABS, PETG multiple colors (3 and 1.75 mm) €16,49 / kg
Megatronics 3.0 €79.99 / Minitronics €37,19
August 15, 2011 12:41PM
brupje Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Some people believe that it might damage the Arduino when doing this.

How valid are these concerns? Should I just leave it powered by USB? The D1 only concerns the 5A side, so would I still be able to use the ATX power supply on the 11+A side for a heated bed or something if I don't install it?
August 16, 2011 07:15AM
You need the 12v lines for stepper drivers, heater and heated bed. That's no problem.

I don't know how valid these concerns are. I had a damaged mega while using the D1, but I have no proof that it directly related to the D1 or maybe a problem with the mega in the first place. Maybe it has also to do with the quality of the 12v -> 5v power regulator or capacitors. I am not a electronics expert, but these seem to be the most reasonable explanations to me. On the other side, I can't imagine a good PSU being that dangerous to electronics.

reprapworld.com
PLA, ABS, PETG multiple colors (3 and 1.75 mm) €16,49 / kg
Megatronics 3.0 €79.99 / Minitronics €37,19
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login