Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Who has RAMPSv1.3??

Posted by anton zedd 
Who has RAMPSv1.3??
June 20, 2011 06:48AM
I've got RAMPSv1.3 and I've got the Arduino IDE setup, I've downloaded the firmware I just don't know what I'm supposed to do now? Appearantly I have to upload this to my Arduino but I don't have any experience doing this, if anyone can help me with a walk-thru I'd appreciate it. I have a Prusa Mendel.smiling smiley
Re: Who has RAMPSv1.3??
June 20, 2011 07:09AM
I've now updated the pin definitions in the pins.h file as prescribed on the RAMPSv1.3 wiki page. I don't know my next step?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2011 07:33AM by anton zedd.
June 20, 2011 10:52AM
I have RAMPS 1.3, but I haven't got Sprinter working yet. I'm running FiveD for RAMPS from here:

[github.com]

with the pins set as seen on the RAMPS1.3 page in the wiki. To upload this to your mega, open the project in the arduino IDE, plug the usb in (the 12V power supply does not have to be on for me, I do not have the power diode on mine) and click compile (looks like a play button). Once it compiles ok, click on upload, and it will reset the mega and upload the firmware. Once it's done open up repsnapper or whatever and connect to the com port (I'm assuming windows) at the baud rate selected in your firmware, then find and play with the manual controls (with one hand on the power supply so you don't crash anything!).

Do you have mechanical endstops?
June 20, 2011 02:41PM
Yes, I've got the mechanical endstops.
June 20, 2011 07:07PM
If you try the code I pointed to earlier, Make sure you put:

#define OPTO_PULLUPS_INTERNAL 1

into your configuration.h or they won't work (and that's not just something you can uncomment either, I had to go digging for it). Also, you may not have this problem, but the listing for pins.h on the RAMPS1.3 page on the wiki has:

#define E_STEP_PIN         26
#define E_DIR_PIN          28
#define E_ENABLE_PIN       24

which is completely useless, since FiveD uses the EXTRUDER_n_* defines that are below (and that I missed), so make sure you fix the EXTRUDER_0_* defines.
June 20, 2011 10:58PM
inline void hostcom::putInit() { Serial.begin(HOST_BAUD); }

FiveD_GCode_Interpreter:329: error: 'Serial' was not declared in this scope

WTF? I'm not a programmer I have no idea what I'm doing here.
June 20, 2011 11:05PM
Ah, sorry, you're probably using arduino-022, right? Open FiveD_GCode_Interpreter.pde and comment out the line that says

#include <HardwareSerial.h>

by putting two slashes // in front of it.
June 20, 2011 11:44PM
Thanks, I think that did the trick, I've got a flashing light and holding torque back again. When I open up RedSnapper click on connect printer the light on the "connect to printer" button goes on then goes off? Is this normal?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2011 11:51PM by anton zedd.
June 21, 2011 05:59AM
I would suggest you use Sprinter or Teacup instead. But it seems that the pin configuration in the wiki is for the 5-D firmware and I don't know if anyone has modified the other two firmware for RAMPS 1.3.
June 21, 2011 07:30AM
Looks like the RAMPSv1.3 wiki page needs to be updated with information regarding 'working firmware' and which program works best with it.smiling smiley I'm still not able to connect to Repsnapper, I just click on connect to printer and the light on that button I click goes on for a few moments and then turns off, but the ramps light flashes in sequence and there is holding torque. Man, I'm lost on this one, need help from higher source it seemsconfused smiley
June 21, 2011 07:59AM
anton zedd Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks, I think that did the trick, I've got a
> flashing light and holding torque back again.
> When I open up RedSnapper click on connect printer
> the light on the "connect to printer" button goes
> on then goes off? Is this normal?

You probably have the wrong baud rate set in repsnapper, I think FiveD defaults to 19200. Either try 19200 in repsnapper or find the baud rate #define in your firmware and set it higher (I think 115200 is the repsnapper default unless you save a different one).
June 21, 2011 09:15AM
anton zedd Wrote:
> I just click on connect to printer and the light on
> that button I click goes on for a few moments and
> then turns off,

Go to the print tab, then communication log and errors/warnings and see what the program outputs there. Should give you a hint to what's wrong.

> but the ramps light flashes in
> sequence and there is holding torque.

The firmware does that automatically when the motherboard gets power from usb.

--
-Nudel
Blog with RepRap Comic
June 21, 2011 10:04AM
If the connect button doesn't stay on in repsnapper, then you're not connected. Likely to be due to the wrong baud rate or the wrong port selection.
June 21, 2011 03:20PM
Switched to a different computer, It's ALIVE!!!!! Thanks everyone, I really appreciate you guys getting me this farsmiling smiley I'm in repsnapper trying to get the axis moving now.
June 21, 2011 04:11PM
in repsnapper it seems as though...

- I can only go up on the z
- I can only go right on the y
- and can only move x to the back
well it moves smoothly anyhow, hehe. I think I missed something in the firmware.
June 21, 2011 05:33PM
Do you have mechanical or opto endstops connected? If so, you may need to invert polarity on the firmware.
June 21, 2011 06:45PM
brnrd Wrote:
> Do you have mechanical or opto endstops connected?
> If so, you may need to invert polarity on the
> firmware.

Agreed, try setting:
#define X_ENDSTOP_INVERTING 0
#define Y_ENDSTOP_INVERTING 0
#define Z_ENDSTOP_INVERTING 0
in your configuration.h in the ramps section (if they're already there, just change them), or if that doesn't work, try setting them to 1
June 21, 2011 08:44PM
gunadai Wrote:
> brnrd Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Do you have mechanical or opto endstops
> connected?
> > If so, you may need to invert polarity on the
> > firmware.
>
> Agreed, try setting:
>
> #define X_ENDSTOP_INVERTING 0
> #define Y_ENDSTOP_INVERTING 0
> #define Z_ENDSTOP_INVERTING 0
>
> in your configuration.h in the ramps section (if
> they're already there, just change them), or if
> that doesn't work, try setting them to 1

I've tried doing that and no luck, then again those lines of code are repeated throughout configuration.h so deciding which ones to change is kind of confusing.
June 21, 2011 09:54PM
Someone should write a program that allows you to choose what type of machine, end-stops and boards and what type arduino you have in a check box style type list, then allow you to choose and compile the type of firmware you'd like for what ever OS your running and download it. Wouldn't that be something, that way everything is in one place constantly being updated. All done online, hopefully it will be a reality one day. As for now my Prusa is still going in one direction.
June 22, 2011 12:08AM
The only ones you need to change are around line 270 of configuration.h, in the mega section. My mechanical endstops work on my ultimachine ramps 1.3 with all INVERTING set to 0.

I've thought about how an automated configuration could be setup in the wiki, but there are so many combinations of hardware and firmwares that I think it might not cover even a fraction of what is available. It would also be a nightmare to try to keep up to date sad smiley
July 04, 2011 09:08AM
Thanks to all previous poster's for their help.
I'd like to add that I've found an issue with FiveD Ramps firmware and the 2nd Extruder temperature.
Apart from having to define the extruder pins correctly:
// Heated bed

#define BED_HEATER_PIN (byte)8
#define BED_TEMPERATURE_PIN (byte) 68

//extruder pins
#define EXTRUDER_0_STEP_PIN (byte)26
#define EXTRUDER_0_DIR_PIN (byte)28
#define EXTRUDER_0_ENABLE_PIN (byte)24
#define EXTRUDER_0_HEATER_PIN (byte)10
#define EXTRUDER_0_TEMPERATURE_PIN (byte)67 

#define EXTRUDER_1_STEP_PIN (byte)36
#define EXTRUDER_1_DIR_PIN (byte)34
#define EXTRUDER_1_ENABLE_PIN (byte)30
#define EXTRUDER_1_HEATER_PIN (byte)9
#define EXTRUDER_1_TEMPERATURE_PIN (byte)69

I also found that the temperature reading for the 2nd extruder is using the 1st thermistor's reading
The problem is in extruder.pde in this area:
/******************************************** 
 * Arduino Mega motherboard
 */
#if EXTRUDER_CONTROLLER == EXTRUDER_CONTROLLER_INTERNAL

static PIDcontrol ePID(EXTRUDER_0_HEATER_PIN, EXTRUDER_0_TEMPERATURE_PIN, false);
because ePID is static and used for both extruders, the PID will never end up using EXTRUDER_1_TEMPERATURE_PIN

I'm not sure if I should be using the PID method or not (ie, should I be setting another DEFINE ?) , but I've made some alterations by making ePID part of the extruder class and both heaters look to be working OK now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2011 09:34AM by sergeantKK.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login