Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Decoupling capacitors?

Posted by Triffid_Hunter 
Decoupling capacitors?
June 17, 2011 10:53PM
I just had a look at the schematic and board layout after chatting to someone on IRC about ramps, and something that jumped out at me is a dearth of decoupling capacitors!

On my board, I have a 100nF between 12v/gnd, and also 5v/gnd of every pololu, one across the arduino connector, across all the power connectors, and a few others for good measure to keep the noise down.

Ramps seems to only have the one 100nF!

Existing boards could probably add them by getting 0805 or 0603 SMT parts and soldering them between relevant pins.

Will future generations of the RAMPS boards have any more decoupling, or is there not enough room?

-----------------------------------------------
Wooden Mendel
Teacup Firmware
Re: Decoupling capacitors?
June 18, 2011 04:24PM
The Pololu carriers have high frequency decoupling on them, which is where it should be, close to the chip. You only need bulk decoupling on the main board. Should be something like 100uF according to the datasheet but if the leads to the PSU are short you probably get away without it.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
June 20, 2011 05:53PM
i did not know they were on there, nor did i look. but that is always good to know.

i have wondered if anyone has seen anything new like the pololu drivers that could handle a little more power out there yet.

[mike-mack.blogspot.com]
June 20, 2011 06:21PM
TB6560 can take a bit more, and ST dSpin L6470 is interesting too

-----------------------------------------------
Wooden Mendel
Teacup Firmware
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login