Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Android Open Accessory Development Kit

Posted by unicoder 
Android Open Accessory Development Kit
May 11, 2011 01:04PM
Google just released their Android Open Accessory Development Kit, based on Arduino, I don't think it would be a bad idea to use it for a new version of RAMPS. I haven't looked through all the details yet, maybe it could even be a drop-in replacement with no changes. It could be called GRAMPS winking smiley
One major advantage is that we could write Android software to allow an android device to control the printer, which would be a big step up from the LCD control panels of the MakerBot.
So how about it? Can someone with more knowledge take a look at the electronics specs and see if this is possible?
Re: Android Open Accessory Development Kit
May 11, 2011 03:33PM
It's totally possible, it's just an arduino board...
I was thinking about the same thing except that i need an android phone lol
May 12, 2011 06:53AM
Will a Mega1280 work also?

reprapworld.com
PLA, ABS, PETG multiple colors (3 and 1.75 mm) €16,49 / kg
Megatronics 3.0 €79.99 / Minitronics €37,19
May 12, 2011 08:15AM
Yes, I'm using a 1280
May 12, 2011 12:39PM
I've looked into it a little more, and I think it's totally possible/practical. Google's board is only a slightly modified arduino. They added a host shield and some way to allow the board to provide power to the android phone.

I want this.

I have an old G1 I was about to sell, but this would be a much better use for it. I'm sure I can find a ROM for it with the new APIs on xda-developers.com. The board should be a drop-in replacement. The only thing that needs to be done is to write the Android software to run the printer. It could display printer stats, play/pause buttons, and take gcode from the sd card or over bluetooth(and saved to sd) and communicate that to the board(?). I'm not totally familiar with the whole printing process yet, because I haven't printed anything yet, but I could write the Android software. Now I just need one of these google arduinos...
May 12, 2011 04:06PM
One more resource: [romfont.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2011 04:07PM by zzarbi.
May 12, 2011 11:47PM
Very cool! So all we need to make this work is RAMPS, a $25 USB host shield, an android phone, and the software. I'm 50% of the way there, I'm definitely going to do this. Thanks for the info zzarbi, maybe now you're wishing you didn't go with an iphone? winking smiley
May 13, 2011 09:00AM
Now that I look closer, I'm not sure to add shields to RAMPS. Is it possible?
May 13, 2011 12:14PM
Add the shield under RAMPS?
May 13, 2011 12:23PM
I just checked and the USB host shield need to be connected with Mega1280 OR Mega2560 through:
- (19) SS = Z_MAX_PIN (Which is not really used, and could be move somewhere else)
- (20) SCK = SDA ???
- (21) MOSI = SCL ???
- (22) MISO = Not use at all

If you look at that picture: [reprap.org]
Port 20, 21, 22 seems to not be used either... At least no by the RAMPS shield. Now I'm almost sure that there are used while communicating via USB with the host software.
If so you still can do what you want by rewriting the firmware to take instruction from the USB host shield instead of the USB of the Mega board...

And the full printer will be printing directly from your phone! I can think of 3D objects store as an application, where you could buy objects from the store, plug your printer and print it smiling smiley

PS: you won't be able to stack them anyway because I quote (from previous link): "Sparkfun’s shield is cheaper but has some drawbacks. Firstly it does not work with Arduino Mega variants because these boards have their SPI pins in a different location." It does work but you going to have to wire them... It's only 4 wires for arduino an few other for vcc/gnd...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2011 12:26PM by zzarbi.
May 18, 2011 10:19AM
This is beginning to sound more and more doable.

I recently fried one of my Pololu drivers so I'll be getting a new one, and I'm thinking of picking up a USB host shield in the same shipment. One question I have is how to power it. You say "It's only 4 wires for arduino an few other for vcc/gnd". Could I hook up the USB host shield directly to my power supply instead of getting an Arduino wall wart to power it?

I've read elsewhere strong statements against plugging in power to the arduino in a RAMPS setup. Is there something really wrong with that (i.e. is it gonna fry something?), or do people just say it because it's unnecessary?
May 19, 2011 02:07PM
Let says that if you have an issue like short-circuit on you main power (which seem had happen to you on the Pololu), not only you going to kill the ramps shield and the arduino, but you might damage your computer in the same time.

That's why it's recommended to use another power for the arduino. But you can use a fuse and calculate how much current this usb host shield need, this will protect the usb host shield as well as your phone.
August 23, 2011 01:34PM
Prices seem to be getting more reasonable:

[iteadstudio.com]

is there any progress out in the community with this?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login