Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

RAMPS won't PID tune and shows unreal temps

Posted by electrophile 
RAMPS won't PID tune and shows unreal temps
March 12, 2018 01:28AM
About two days ago, I started seeing that my hotend was heating up erratically. I first noticed this while printing a part in PETG and the temp jumped to 260 deg C. I shut down the printer at that time and first started checking the hardware. I noticed that the E3D V6 thermistor had been tightened too much. I disassembled the entire hotend, cleaned everything and then reassembled everything. I thought to retune the hotend and when I tried tuning it at 240 deg C. This is where the strange behavior occurs. The hotend steadily climbed up till about 200 deg C. After that it just went nuts. I started seeing unreal temps such as 646 deg C and such. At this point I thought the MEGA might be at fault. I replaced it and the hotend (an E3D V6 clone). This had the screw on glass thermistor. Again the same erratic behavior and unreal temp readings. What could be wrong here? What am I missing? Can this be the heater cartridge?
Re: RAMPS won't PID tune and shows unreal temps
March 12, 2018 09:00AM
You might have a broken wire or cold solder in the thermistor legs. It happens frequently, that's why I order them in lots of 10 regularly.
Re: RAMPS won't PID tune and shows unreal temps
March 13, 2018 03:31AM
Good call. One of the thermistor leads had come loose from its extension wire. I crimped those and that solves the problem. Thanks again!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login