Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Extruder fan where should it go?

Posted by matheustorres 
Extruder fan where should it go?
January 15, 2018 09:45AM
I bought a MK8 extruder and the extruder fan has a connector just like the image attached, and I was wondering, should it be plugged somewhere? Or should I just cut out the connection and screw it on the D9 output, or should I screw in the ramps terminal block input, if so, on the 5A or 11A, or should it go directly in the power supply?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2018 09:47AM by matheustorres.
Attachments:
open | download - e15b83fe0cce718eba7a5b422a9ac038.jpg (48.3 KB)
Re: Extruder fan where should it go?
January 15, 2018 06:30PM
There are normally two fans. one that is for cooling the the fins on the hotend. This is normally always on and plugged into two pins 12v supply (see image)

Secondly most machines have a plastic cooling fan, to solidify the plastic after it has been extruded. this is controlled and needs to be plugged into D9

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2018 06:31PM by Dust.
January 16, 2018 04:14AM
Usually the wires of a fan are too short to make a direct connection, so you have to extend the wires anyway.
January 16, 2018 09:26AM
Dust
There are normally two fans. one that is for cooling the the fins on the hotend. This is normally always on and plugged into two pins 12v supply (see image)

Secondly most machines have a plastic cooling fan, to solidify the plastic after it has been extruded. this is controlled and needs to be plugged into D9

Hello Dust, but how should I connect to this two holes? Should I solder it directly to the wire? Should I buy pins and solder the pins? What is the best way to connect it (I am not experienced in soldering and I am afraid to damage some component)
January 17, 2018 01:14PM
Soldering is generally a fairly simple process and easy to do once you understand the basics.

For that, I suggest you find some youtube videos that cover the use of the iron and flux. If the video doesn't cover heating the component instead of the solder directly then find another video. As far as soldering a pin or the wires directly, that is a personal choice. The pins would probably be better in-case you ever need to replace your fan, but soldering the wires directly to the board would be equally effective from a performance perspective. Electrically speaking, a solder joint is better than a friction clip, you just lose the convenience.

PS. 1. Don't try to solder to this board directly while it is connected to power or your printer.
2. Don't let soldering wire to your RAMPs be your first solder joint. Get some cheap resistors and wire and practice a few times until you get a feel for how it all works.
3. The adage "Bigger the Blob, better the job" does NOT work when soldering.
4. Flux core solder isn't enough, spend the few extra dollars for a decent no residue liquid flux.
5. Always 'tin' your iron before soldering. (youtube video should cover that as well)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2018 01:19PM by obelisk79.
January 18, 2018 06:54AM
If your worried about the soldering, you can fit the extruder fan on the 12 volt input screw terminals marked as electronics fan, thats where i put mine( and i am an expert at soldering, just easier smiling smiley )
January 19, 2018 11:00AM
Should I just screw in with the terminal blocks? Won't it cause any problem like shorting out?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login