Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

filament runout sensor

Posted by swaroop 
filament runout sensor
September 12, 2017 06:07AM
Sir,

I want to add optical sensor to my ramps 1.4 board and i want to enable filament runout sensor. please help me in this.

Thanks
Re: filament runout sensor
September 12, 2017 10:01AM
I wired my Filament run-out sensor to X-Max and changed in pins. As the pin they suggested did not work for me.
I made the Filament run out sensor using a lighted end stop circuit board.
You could make it with just a switch, I wanted a Lighted verification that filament was enabled. I designed and 3D Printed a small case that does not require nuts and bolts.

Pins.Ramps.h
//#ifndef X_MAX_PIN
//#define X_MAX_PIN 2 // This is my X-Max pin, you should yours
//#endif

// define X_MAX_PIN 2 for the filament runout sensor.
#define FIL_RUNOUT_PIN 2

Configuration_adv.h
#define FILAMENT_CHANGE_FEATURE

Configuration.h
#define X_MAX_ENDSTOP_INVERTING false // set to true to invert the logic of the endstop.
#define FILAMENT_RUNOUT_SENSOR // Uncomment for defining a filament runout sensor such as a mechanical or opto endstop to check the existence of filament

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2017 10:06AM by Roberts_Clif.
Attachments:
open | download - Runout Switch Box v8.stl (155.2 KB)
September 14, 2017 05:46AM
Thanks robert i connect and see....
September 16, 2017 05:58PM
Me too, I have designed a filament run-out sensor casing.

Runout

Thomas

www.3daybreaker.blogspot.com

Orca V4.4 rebuild to Ramps with Mk8 and E3D, as well as a Rostock Delta Mini and an OLO in backorder :-)
September 16, 2017 06:00PM
Roberts_Clif
I wired my Filament run-out sensor to X-Max and changed in pins. As the pin they suggested did not work for me.
I made the Filament run out sensor using a lighted end stop circuit board.
You could make it with just a switch, I wanted a Lighted verification that filament was enabled. I designed and 3D Printed a small case that does not require nuts and bolts.

Pins.Ramps.h
//#ifndef X_MAX_PIN
//#define X_MAX_PIN 2 // This is my X-Max pin, you should yours
//#endif

// define X_MAX_PIN 2 for the filament runout sensor.
#define FIL_RUNOUT_PIN 2

Configuration_adv.h
#define FILAMENT_CHANGE_FEATURE

Configuration.h
#define X_MAX_ENDSTOP_INVERTING false // set to true to invert the logic of the endstop.
#define FILAMENT_RUNOUT_SENSOR // Uncomment for defining a filament runout sensor such as a mechanical or opto endstop to check the existence of filament

What does the printer do , when this pin gets high ?

I would like to have Repetier-Host go into pause mode .......

Orca V4.4 rebuild to Ramps with Mk8 and E3D, as well as a Rostock Delta Mini and an OLO in backorder :-)
September 16, 2017 09:43PM
Replace

What does the printer do , when this pin gets high ?

I would like to have Repetier-Host go into pause mode .......

I have set you X,Y and Z max position to stop the travel

// Travel limits after homing (units are in mm)

#define X_MAX_POS 220
#define Y_MAX_POS 270
#define Z_MAX_POS 185 // Originally was 190

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2017 09:51PM by Roberts_Clif.
September 17, 2017 02:44AM
so, filament-runout is a standard feature already, but now connected to a endstop for choice ?

September 17, 2017 08:59AM
Replace
so, filament-runout is a standard feature already, but now connected to a endstop for choice ?

No, I tried for days to connect a filament run-out sensor according the China Factory Reps would not work.
So I had no use for the X-Max-endstop thought !!! Why not try. And it worked.

Wanted to add schematic diagram for My lighted Filament Run Out Sensor.

filament in = ground - Led on
filament out = 5V - Led off

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2017 01:58PM by Roberts_Clif.
September 23, 2017 09:00AM
Ok, but what does happen when it is triggered ?

September 23, 2017 12:57PM
The normally closed switch I am using is high until filament is present then goes to ground.
The circuit shown is just the way I decided to wire the Filament run out sensor as I wanted a light when filament present.

#define X_MAX_ENDSTOP_INVERTING false // Unused X-Max :: set to False for Filament Run-out Sensor.

#define FIL_RUNOUT_PIN 2 // Changed to X-Max pin 2 from #define FIL_RUNOUT_PIN 4

When triggered LCD Displays :: Filament not present LED on sensor out
"PRINT PAUSED"
" Insert filament "
"and press button"
" to continue . . ."

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2017 02:06PM by Roberts_Clif.
October 02, 2017 07:56PM
Roberts_Clif
The normally closed switch I am using is high until filament is present then goes to ground.
The circuit shown is just the way I decided to wire the Filament run out sensor as I wanted a light when filament present.

#define X_MAX_ENDSTOP_INVERTING false // Unused X-Max :: set to False for Filament Run-out Sensor.

#define FIL_RUNOUT_PIN 2 // Changed to X-Max pin 2 from #define FIL_RUNOUT_PIN 4

When triggered LCD Displays :: Filament not present LED on sensor out
"PRINT PAUSED"
" Insert filament "
"and press button"
" to continue . . ."

I read somewhere that if marlin pause is left for too long it times out and the print fails, have you run into this?
October 02, 2017 09:05PM
I have not! This is not really a filament pause: as all data is stored as to where to begin printing when filament is restored.
When the filament is broken the Nozzle is moved to the Current Z-Height and X,Y = Home position.

After some time the Heaters are turned off for safety reasons when left unattended. You have to remove the broken filament remaining in the extruder before you can replace the filament,
then Pressing Click encoder button to continue. The heaters are turned back on when almost heated. I push a little filament thru and remove from nozzle using tweezers.
Print begins exactly where it left off as if nothing had occurred.

Sometimes you can see a little blemish others you cannot tell where the change occurred.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2017 09:10PM by Roberts_Clif.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login