Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Why 16V polyfuse?

Posted by Aethelstan 
Why 16V polyfuse?
May 28, 2017 07:50AM
I am in the process of upgrading my printer to run on 24V, but I have a question regarding the 16V, 11A polyfuse. Why is it rated at 16V? I can't see there ever being anything near 16V dropping across the fuse as it should be conducting with very low resistance. Using the datasheet specifications, when conducting 11A of current with a maximum resistance of 0.0089 ohms, that's only 0.09V dropped by the fuse. Using a 24V bed wouldn't draw that much current anyway. I understand that I need to change it, especially having read the reports on here about them catching fire and I will remove it and use a real fuse in it's place. I would just like to understand why.

Thanks smiling smiley
Re: Why 16V polyfuse?
June 10, 2017 12:31AM
I think that the problem is when you have a short: Then you will have the full 24V over the fuse, and that's when it gets dangerous and the fuse can catch fire before it traps.
June 10, 2017 06:58AM
enif
I think that the problem is when you have a short: Then you will have the full 24V over the fuse, and that's when it gets dangerous and the fuse can catch fire before it traps.

Exactly.

Delta printer calibration calculator, mini IR Z probe, and colour touch screen control panel: [escher3d.com]

Large delta printer, and other 3D printer blog postings: [miscsolutions.wordpress.com]

Disclosure: I have a financial interest in sales of the Panel Due, Mini IR height sensor, and Duet WiFi/Duet Ethernet [www.duet3d.com].
June 30, 2017 07:37AM
Cheers, I am still learning this stuff so I am very grateful for your replies. I need to start thinking about what happens in fail states smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login