Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Help Please. Newbie in need. Ramps/Mega or firmware?

Posted by Lancer3D 
Help Please. Newbie in need. Ramps/Mega or firmware?
May 25, 2017 06:51PM
Brand new Folgertech Pusa 2020 I3. Finished build, downloaded Repetier and Arduino software onto computer. If I just plug the printer in, the Ramps board and the Arduino have no lights illuminated, but the power supply has the green LED illuminated. If I plug in the USB, the Rams has orange light that flashes and I can see the green LED illuminate for the Arduino. The LCD will also power on, but no writing just blocks and blue screen.

The printer does not respond to anything in Repetier in manual mode. No heat at heat bed, not heat at extruder, no motor movement or noise.

Very frustrated because my 14yr old can't use his gift. I'm not a programmer by any means and I wouldn't expect the electronics to be bad out of the box.

I am mechanically inclined and made sure steps were followed closely for the build.

Any help would be appreciated.
Re: Help Please. Newbie in need. Ramps/Mega or firmware?
May 25, 2017 08:59PM
On the ramps, under the X and Y stepper drivers is a Diode D1, is this installed?
As this is what powers the mega when USB is not connected

Your normally have to configure the firmware to the enable the lcd

It sounds like your not getting any connection to the printer at all. Did you upload any firmware?

I presume your running windows, so first thing is to check your device drivers. Does the computer notice your plugging in the controller, and does it setup a serial port for it.

Next make sure the port in Repetier is the port that appeared in the device manager.
Then check the baud rate is the same in the firmware and in Repetier

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2017 09:02PM by Dust.
May 26, 2017 07:06PM
Thanks for the reply! I think the diode is installed, but we are not near the printer again until Monday.

We are running Windows. When the USB is plugged in the computer makes the audible, but the controller does not show up in the control panel. We did verify that the serial port on the computer is the same in Repetier and also thebaud rates are the Sam too.

I assumed this was more plug and play from Folger tech, but we are learning very slowly.
May 26, 2017 08:50PM
Your controller needs firmware.
Marlin or repetier firmware
and
configuration

[reprap.org] and Pin Assignments

[www.repetier.com]

When in doubt
you could read the Folgertech Pusa 2020 I3 instructions
or
use the folgertech forum

[www.folgerforum.com]

[www.facebook.com]

confused smiley
May 27, 2017 05:03AM
Hi,
If the above posters are correct about uploading firmware, which it seems they are. here is a video that might help https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkkStBgDK8U
Make sure you have the right comport selected in the Arduino software (tools>port) and the correct board and processor (tools>board>arduino mega 2560) (tools>processor>ATmega2560)

Hope it helps, good luck.
May 29, 2017 01:25PM
Thanks guys, We have followed all the necessary steps and when we try to upload it in arduino we get an error compilation error and it says compilation terminated.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login