Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

No ferrules - solder wire ends

Posted by DaveOB 
No ferrules - solder wire ends
April 26, 2017 04:29PM
OK. I have recently seen the guru's warnings about the risks of soldering the ends of wires for the Ramps power input and D8 / 9 / 10 connectors for hotend and bed heaters.

Living in Africa, we have limited variety of available parts, and have been hunting for bootlace ferrules to 'fix' the wires to the screw terminals.

Unfortunately this is not going to happen, at least not in this area.

So I was thinking that the main area of concern seems to be the screw terminal pressure on the soldered wire end.

I have made a McGyver solution, and would like to hear if there are any obvious problems with this :

I took a length of solid core copper wire, 2mm core diameter ( from the housing wiring section ).
Stripped off the insulation.
Cut a length of around 3cm
Folded over around 6mm on one end
Used a hammer and slightly flattened the other end
Wrapped the wire ( previously soldered on the end ) around the folded section, soldered together ( so about 12mm contact area between them ), and covered with heat shrink.

My logic is that the screw terminals are then tightening on to the flattened solid core copper wire and there is no pressure on the soldered join.

Thoughts ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2017 04:31PM by DaveOB.
VDX
Re: No ferrules - solder wire ends
April 26, 2017 05:25PM
... yes, this methode is good enough, if no ferrules at hand - did this with much thicker wires and 4mm thick copper sticks for a welding transformator with up to 200 Amperes winking smiley

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
Re: No ferrules - solder wire ends
April 27, 2017 01:58AM
McGyver would be proud of you grinning smiley
Just make sure the cables are secured and the solderjoint isn't stressed.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login