Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

HeatBed and stepper motors won't coexist

Posted by silverevlis 
HeatBed and stepper motors won't coexist
March 16, 2017 03:42PM
I'm at a loss here. I recently installed a heating bed to my Delta 3D printer. I set up the firmware to acknowledge the thermistor and had at first no response when requesting preheat. Forums encouraged me to switch the power supply from 5a to 11a which successfully allowed preheat on the bed to work but then kept the stepper motors from functioning. Another forum suggested splitting power to both 5a and 11a which I did. When I requested pre heat, the whole printer shuts off and the led on the board and bed flash red. Another forum search suggested reducing the number in the firmware on the pidbed power from 255 to 200 which worked, BUT the stepper motors and the bed won't function at the same time. White preheating, the stepper motors shake as they turn on and off rapidly as the bed blinks to heat up. Then when the bed is heated and the extruder begins to move to print, the moment the bed drops 1 degree the whole thing just stops working... anyone know what's going on?
Re: HeatBed and stepper motors won't coexist
March 16, 2017 04:06PM
What is the power or current rating of your power supply?

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
March 16, 2017 05:35PM
12v 6a is what it says on the adapter that came with the kit I bought.
March 16, 2017 06:39PM
Unless it's a really tiny printer, 6A is nowhere near enough. A typical PCB bed heater 200mm square takes 10A just by itself. You need a power supply that can provide more current.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login