Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Extruder stutter - firmware problem

Posted by Healthwave 
Extruder stutter - firmware problem
February 04, 2017 03:48PM
Hello everyone,

I am the proud owner of a prusa i3 Steel, but since I changed the Arduino board (on which the seller had preloaded the Marlin firmware), and uploaded Marlin on the new one, everything works fine appart from the extruder's stuttering. It creates an uneven thread of ABS causing very ugly prints.

I narrowed down the problem to the Marlin firmware, as I checked all the drivers, cables, extruder mechanism.

I had to change the Arduino because for some reason I driver fried, and now the LDO of the Arduino mega 2560 overheats, when connected to USB and the RAMPS 1.4, causing the Arduino to shut down.This does not happen when the RAMPS is disconnected.

For a short while, when I use the original Arduino the print is perfect until it shuts down, which leads me to believe something is wrong with the Marlin I installed.

I went through a lot of threads but did not find a lead on this topic, about what to fine tune on Marlin to ease the extrusion.

I'd be very grateful for any kind of help!

I face now 2 options:
- exchange LDOs, but I'm not sure changing the faulty LDO will repair the original Arduino
- find a way to tweak Marlin
Re: Extruder stutter - firmware problem
February 05, 2017 11:34AM
The cause of your overheating Arduino voltage regulator is probably not the RAMPS or Marlin, it's your graphic LCD or servo. See [reprap.org].

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2017 11:34AM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Re: Extruder stutter - firmware problem
February 06, 2017 05:20AM
Thanks for the tip, I won't be using the LCD then!
The extrusion ended up working again, I've thoroughly did some troubleshooting, and have no idea what caused it to work again with the new board and Marlin.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login