Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Stacking stepper drivers on Ramps board?

Posted by Draytology 
Stacking stepper drivers on Ramps board?
January 31, 2017 09:13PM
Hello.
Tomorrow I will be purchasing 1 or 2 Nema 23 stepper motors to upgrade my 3d printer. I plan to eventually use it for some CNC applications so the small Nema 17's I am using now probably will not be sufficient. I plan to continue using my Ramps setup for now and would like to avoid buying a couple of the larger Toshiba drivers. The motor's draw 2.5a according the site, up from 1.8 for the motors I am using now. I figure I can probably get away with using my current DRV8825's. I keep them at a VRef of 0.7v, so if I adjust that to 1.25v it should have enough power. But, in case I need a little more current than one driver can put out I stacked 2 on top of each other. I am using my A4988's for this test. I tested them, outside of my 3d printer, and everything fucntions normally. I am not sure exactly how I will set the VRef for dual drivers but in theory this double driver should be able to handle close to double the current, correct? Has anyone ever tried this or know of anyone who has, or has any possible warnings of some issues I may face.

Picture---->>>> [imgur.com]
Re: Stacking stepper drivers on Ramps board?
February 01, 2017 02:33AM
The shunt resistors have tolerances. So the current through the drivers can be out of balance, even with 100% identic Vref ( which is hard enough to achieve ).
This means, the output FETs are getting different PWM signal and who_knows what problems that might bring. ( ringing ? )
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login