Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Motor not moving as expected with RAMPS 1.4 and Marlin

Posted by harlandraka 
Motor not moving as expected with RAMPS 1.4 and Marlin
January 20, 2017 07:31AM
Hi all!

I have a Wanhao Duplicator i3 v2 (aka Maker Select/Cocoon Create) and I bought a RAMPS 1.4 kit to upgrade the internal Melzi Board and install Marlin instead of Repetier.

I plugged the two power cables coming from the PSU into the RAMPS shield, then I connected the display (a RepRapDiscount Full Graphic Smart Controller, 128x64 with SD support), the two thermistors (bed and extruder) and the X-axis motor. I didn't plug anything else because I first wanted to check if a single motor behaved as expected before connecting everything.

From Marlin, I went to Prepare->Move axis->Move 10mm->Move X and rotated the potentiometer near the display by "a click": The motor made a quick move, stopped and made a "beeee" noise while stopped. To me it seemed like it was trying to move (hence the "beee" noise) but there is something that stops it from doing that.

I don't know if it's relevant to the issue, but I noticed a blinking question mark on X, Y and Z axes on the display.

I'm attaching two videos which demonstrate the issue, they're probably better to understand than my explaination.

Does anyone know what could be the issue?
Attachments:
open | download - x-motors.mp4 (582.2 KB)
open | download - question_marks.mp4 (581.3 KB)
Re: Motor not moving as expected with RAMPS 1.4 and Marlin
January 20, 2017 07:58AM
Blinking X,Y Z on the display just means you have not homed the axis, so it thinks 0 is where ever it was at power on.

Most likely (as most people seem to miss this) you have not installed any stepper micro stepping jumpers under to stepper modules
January 20, 2017 08:05AM
Dust
Blinking X,Y Z on the display just means you have not homed the axis, so it thinks 0 is where ever it was at power on.

Most likely (as most people seem to miss this) you have not installed any stepper micro stepping jumpers under to stepper modules

They didn't come with the kit. How do they work, and how should I install them?

At the moment I only have the RAMPS 1.4 board, with Arduino Mega and 5 drivers which I already plugged into the RAMPS board (see the photo attached)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2017 08:52AM by harlandraka.
Attachments:
open | download - photo5769581924547930169.jpg (151.7 KB)
January 20, 2017 09:10AM
Please dont power it up with the endstops plugged in as show in the picture, you have them conected to +5v and gnd.

2 wire endstop switches should be plugged into the 2 outer pins, gnd and signal
January 20, 2017 09:13AM
I found the jumpers, now motors move correctly.

obewan
Please dont power it up with the endstops plugged in as show in the picture, you have them conected to +5v and gnd.

2 wire endstop switches should be plugged into the 2 outer pins, gnd and signal

Yeah, I noticed and changed them, but they don't seem to work, when I click the endstop marlin does nothing.

If I click it while moving, motor doesn't stop, and the "X" continues blinking...
January 20, 2017 03:54PM
With no endstops pressed, send a M119 to the printer, it should report all endstops open
Then hold1 endstop with your finger and send M119 again, it should now repotr that endstop as triggered

If the above does not happen then you likely have your endstops inverted in firmware
January 20, 2017 05:54PM
harlandraka
Yeah, I noticed and changed them, but they don't seem to work, when I click the endstop marlin does nothing.

If I click it while moving, motor doesn't stop, and the "X" continues blinking...

Most repraps are setup so endstops are only checked when homing, not during normal moves.

as already stated above you need to check your endstops are working with the M119 command (from a pc, not LCD)
ie make sure no endstops are being hit, send a M119, it should reply with all endstops open
manually depress a endstop and hold it, send annother M119, the endstop you depressed should now say triggered. Test all endstops.

If these all work then home the axis G28 from pc to home all or you can G28 X to just home X or G28 Y to just home y etc.
If this works as expected feel free to home from the lcd

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2017 05:56PM by Dust.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login