Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Newbie trying to make progress - some pointers would be welcome smiling smiley

Posted by Danro 
Newbie trying to make progress - some pointers would be welcome smiling smiley
January 09, 2017 12:20PM
Hi All.
I'm new to 3d printers and the like, but have experience of CNC plasma cutters - I have already built one = but that used a BOB and BIG hardware drivers.

RAMPS 1.4 is somewhat of a mystery to me.
So, to start I'm using a Windows 7 (x64) PC to run the latest version (I believe) of Arduino 1.8.0.
This connects via a USB cable directly from the motherboard to the ArduinoMega 2560 board - it came in kit, I am sure it is a "nasty cheap Chinese thing" (everything else (below) came in the same kit).
After much faffing and the odd swear word, I discovered it is using the CH340 chipset.
I've downloaded the Chinese driver and successfully got the example sketch "blink" working. Awesome.

So, I believe my board is working.
Should I upload Marlin-1.0.2-2 now or attach the red "Robotale" board that has the stepper controllers on and an addition "smart adaptor" to power the RepRap Discount Full Graphic Smart Controller from bigtree-tech.com?

Do I need to edit the files for Marlin to make it work with the CH340 chipset and screen?
If so, what changes and where?

Currently there are no motors, print heads, stop switches or anything else connected - I figured "one step at a time"!

Any help, advice or pointing in the right direction will be greatly received and I'm sure there will be others like me following this path.

With kind regards

Dan

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2017 12:22PM by Danro.
Re: Newbie trying to make progress - some pointers would be welcome smiling smiley
January 09, 2017 01:07PM
RAMPS is a shield on a Arduino Mega
Provides stepper motor drivers and power controllers
The firmware running in arduino (Marlin) converts commands (most likely G-code)
into actions from RAMPS ports.
Usually sent to arduino from a PC running a CAM software

RAMPS
[reprap.org]

MARLIN
[reprap.org]

Marlin has a configuration.h file that allows for much flexibility in the firmware function
One must tell firmware that you want to use a Mercedes LCD and the Rolls Royce bidet controller
what pins to use, what protocol, what signals.

Most people load up the arduino IDE and drivers to compile and load firmware
not worrying about chipsets
---- most arduinos show up as COMXX when powered up

Oh Oh ----- maybe a web search ---- "Robot control using RAMPS 1.4"

[forums.reprap.org]

grinning smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login