Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Very close to my first print but ran into another problem.

Posted by Draytology 
Very close to my first print but ran into another problem.
January 06, 2017 10:15PM
Hello I finally got all my electronics in the mail today and have been working all day to get my first print started. I built my own printer and I am using Ramps 1.4 on a Mega. I have the large LCD smart controller and the MK8 Extruder. I have everything up and running and have verified that everything works. However, when I try to run a print using Universal GCode Sender it does not start the print. I looked at the command list and see that the command to heat up was sent but my heater does not start up. I can see the temperatue on my smart controller does not rise. I am able to use my smart controller to directly preheat my hot end so I know it is most probably some kind of software issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated I am mentally running out of steam but really want to get it running today. Thanks in advance!
Re: Very close to my first print but ran into another problem.
January 06, 2017 10:20PM
Also if anyone knows where on the Ramp board to connect the 12v extruder fan please let me know. The online instructions are not very specific. Right now I just have it running directly to my 12v battery(battery is standing in until power supply arrives).
January 07, 2017 02:04AM
Draytology
Also if anyone knows where on the Ramp board to connect the 12v extruder fan please let me know.

There are 2 holes for an auxiliary 12V connector right between the X stepper driver and diode D2.
On most RAMPS, however, the connector itself is missing, so you have to solder in a 2-pin connector yourself.
January 07, 2017 04:36AM
Did you home the printer before you tried to run the code from gcode-sender? Did you try using pronterface instead?
January 07, 2017 09:48AM
Once I used pronterface instead it was just a simple matter of choosing the correct baud number and now my printer is up an running! Finally! I had to cheat a little because I still have some tuning to do so that it it knows its boundaries. Thanks for the help guys I really appreciate it. Running my first print now just to test and it's actually working very well for a complete DIY printer built by a noob lol.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login