Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Double Voltage

Posted by EYYE 
Double Voltage
December 08, 2016 09:23AM
Hi friends,
I want to make sure that my idea is right or not. Maybe it was discussed here before, however, as far as I know there were no one. On RAMPS 1.4 there are two supply lines. (Green connector in the bottom left corner of the picture: "http://3d.robbroek.nl/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/untitled-49151.jpg"). The lower one is used for motors, heating the filament and so on. The second, I mean the upper one, is mainy to be used for supply the heatbed. I had an idea that i can heat my bed up much quickier if I apply higher voltage in the supply connector for heatbed. Let's say 18 V. Remaining devices will stil have 12 V. The other point is that my heatbed is unfortunately piece of junk with higher resistance that is should have, so I want to solve this problem as well.
My question is: Can I do this? Can there be some problem in supplying two different voltages in RAMPS? If so, why then?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2016 09:24AM by EYYE.
Re: Double Voltage
December 08, 2016 09:59AM
Some quick references :

[forums.reprap.org]

[reprap.org]

Hope it helps.

Most of my technical comments should be correct, but is THIS one ?
Anyway, as a rule of thumb, always double check what people write.
December 08, 2016 03:40PM
The second power plug is the bed only, its designed so you can have different supplies

Increasing the voltage to 13.5 improves things a lot

NB the 11amp poly fuse on the ramps for the bed, most are only rated for 16v. So if you go beyond that you will have to replace the fuse. Most just replace the polyfuse with a thick wire. then put a inline fuse in the wire to the bed.
December 09, 2016 02:46PM
Oh, thanks a lot for such a quick and valuable response. So that's fine, ok... Replacing a fuse is not a problem. Thank you!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login