Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ramps 1.4 Overvolt Current

Posted by psibob3 
Ramps 1.4 Overvolt Current
November 27, 2016 08:08PM
I have a RAMPS 1.4 based delta printer, and I recently installed a heated bed. Knowing that the stock 10A power supply wouldn't be enough, I bought a 30A one. I was confused about the 11A+ and the 5A input on the ramps, and me being stupid, I plugged my old power supply into the 5A terminals and the new 30A power supply into the 11A+ terminals. When I turned on the machine, I hurt a cracked that sounded like a spark, and the lcd displayed some white squares. I switched back to my old psu from now on. Nothing would fix the lcd. I plugged it into my pc, and repetier host became finicky. Inconsistent connecting to the printer. I was able to control the movement only once, and it was very studery and soon became unresponsive. In short, I can't control the printer from the computer anymore.
So should I get all new electronics or are there some steps I could take to troubleshoot. Both the fuses are in tact btw.

Thanks,
Noah
Re: Ramps 1.4 Overvolt Current
November 28, 2016 02:26AM
The ramps is designed to take two different power supplies. as long as you wire it correctly (ie - +. - + on the connector, from the bottom) (many run 24v on the 11amp cct and 12 on the rest of it)

The gnds are even wired together to ensure they are the same potential.

I can only guess you wired it either - + + - or + - - + or it was just a bad power supply.

either way its sounds like the mega is now a xmas ornament, and should be replaced.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login