Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How to modify a standard RAMPS 1.4 to work with Arduino Due?confused smiley

Posted by AndrewBCN 
Re: How to modify a standard RAMPS 1.4 to work with Arduino Due?confused smiley
May 27, 2015 12:07PM
As a side note, I'm thinking it's easier to replace all 3 MOSFETs at once with either the IRLB8743 or the IRLB3034? My Due is here and will be going into the second iteration (rebuild) of my I3. I'm in no rush so I'm hanging out here reading and gathering materials to make it happen.
May 27, 2015 12:18PM
Well, to test the pwm fan output all you need is to connect two wires and send the appropriate G-code, so there is really nothing to lose to test before going through the hassle of changing that MOSFET. For the hotend heater cartridge, it requires connecting 4 wires (two for the cartridge and two for the thermistor), slightly more work but no big deal.
For the heatbed we are talking a lot more current so I would say swapping Q3 is mandatory, not optional. winking smiley
May 27, 2015 12:51PM
I was planning on replacing all 3 ( as i managed to source a 5 pack of IRLB3034's on ebay)
I don't have an in depth knowledge of semiconductors, so to avoid any issues i thought replacing all would be the safest route

Kind of good to hear that im not the only one who struggles a bit with the removal of MOSFETs . My main concern is for the RAMPS PCB traces and "cooking" them during removal. So i'll definitely be going
down the "cut the legs then remove the remnants" route.

Ill save the "rap on desk" method for when the magic smoke comes out!!
May 27, 2015 08:54PM
Update, ordered the MOSFET's, removed the old ones. Took me about 5 minutes with the 'rap on desk' method.

Meanwhile, I was reading more on this subject and I ran across a Pins config for Marlin that Andrew had started and wondered if this was needed and if I needed to modify anything in the software according to the thread I had read, (aside from the Marlin for Due firmware)?
May 27, 2015 09:03PM
@Viper97

Ask Wurstnase in the Marlin4Due experimental firmware thread, I believe he has included a proper pin configuration for the hacked RAMPS recently in his GitHub latest commits, which should work out-of-the-box.

thumbs up
May 27, 2015 10:54PM
Right. I took your layout. If you have problems with the latest version, please let me know. The last version is very fast, too fast for some stepper driver. I have a good solution in mind, but this will take some time.

A fast solution for the slow stepper driver is simple overwrite the

#define WRITE(pin, v) _FASTWRITE(pin, v)

with

#define WRITE(pin, v) digitalFastWrite(pin, v)

It's in the fastio.h

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2015 10:59PM by Wurstnase.

Triffid Hunter's Calibration Guide --> X <-- Drill for new Monitor Most important Gcode.
May 28, 2015 05:25AM
@ Wurstnase

Thanks! thumbs up smileys with beer
May 28, 2015 06:50AM
Perfect! Onward with the hack. Thanks everyone for your contributions.
May 31, 2015 09:03PM
I got my bare RAMPS board, and a Due ordered along with 10x IRLB3034's from Mouser. I also went ahead and ordered some 3 position dip switches for changing microstep settings. I have an idea on replacing the connectors, but I want to see if it'll work before saying...
July 04, 2015 04:47PM
In progress thanks folks!
July 12, 2015 01:39PM
you can modify ramps 1.4 schematic with hack version for due?
July 13, 2015 06:21AM
c128
you can modify ramps 1.4 schematic with hack version for due?

That is a good idea. In fact, I did get started on modifying a standard RAMPS 1.4 PCB layout, to add jumpers so that it could be used with either an Arduino Mega 2560 or an Arduino Due, by just switching some jumpers around. The problem is that there is very, very little space available on the RAMPS 1.4 PCB to add such jumpers. :-( But I think with some work, it could be done.

The next problem is that nothing guarantees that this modified RAMPS PCB would ever be manufactured by the Chinese copycats, although the price would be very close to a standard RAMPS.

The final issue with all this, is that Smoothieware-compatible boards are now available from Chinese manufacturers at reasonable prices (around 50€ including shipping), so the main advantage of this hack (its very low cost) is becoming somewhat irrelevant:

Arduino Due clone + RAMPS clone + stepper drivers + MOSFETs: around 32€ + you have to change the MOSFETs and hack the RAMPS.

Smoothieware-compatible board: 50€ and it's more or less Plug-and-Play.

For many people, myself included, 18€ is just not worth the trouble.
July 13, 2015 07:20AM
my idea is make easy pcb for personal usage

i suggest to insert dipswitches on the back face as radds board

[doku.radds.org]

i think firmware marlin is little better vs other for 3d printing

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2015 07:20AM by c128.
July 13, 2015 10:42AM
Why not just insert something like a bi-directional logic level converter nn the FET lines (sucn as what Sparkfun has, and I can get for $2) which should work with either voltage, and avoid the FET change?

And why? For me, because I dislike all in one, single point of failure, more expensive solutions . . .

- Tim
July 13, 2015 11:10AM
This hack was intended exactly as what it is: a hack. As a hack, to experiment with a 32-bit ARM processor instead of an 8-bit AVR processor, it's a valid and fun project.

As a mass-produced product, it does not make much sense, imho. Again, yes, it would be possible to come up with an improved PCB layout for the RAMPS, with jumpers or dip switches, or traces to cut/pads to solder, allowing for an easy switch between Mega 2560 and Due. For the MOSFETs, yes indeed we could use the old MOSFETs with logic level converters but there are much better MOSFETs to choose from nowadays, and their cost is really comparable to the old ones.

There are quite a few other small issues with the RAMPS however that an improved design would need to tackle, and that means we are actually looking at an entirely new schematic / PCB layout / BOM , so we would have to go again through the economies of scale cycle, and all that just to reach more or less what exists already right now in the market. Just not worth it, imho.
August 18, 2015 07:54AM
Hello community,

have read this issue for a advice from a user (Mosfet and RADDS ..).

Before we now debating everything from the tecnical meaning and nonsense for the RADDS layout.
I will make it easyer for all reprap people to understand it for everybody :-)

If after proper installation of RADDS v1.5 operating any Mosfet or similar not work,
he gets after the proof of proper handling (the world is evil) course be replaced at least a new RADDS v1.5 free of charge.

guarantee and promise

greeting
Angelo

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2015 07:56AM by angelo.

Mein Club: [hackerspace-ffm.de]
RADDS-Shield -> Commercial [max3dshop.org]
September 08, 2015 07:19AM
Hi guys

Finally have a bit of time and all the parts needed to experiment with this hack

Couple of questions
What is the jumper shown in the pic for ?? I understand that it allows to be backwards compatible if mega 2560 operation is required but i dont see any mention of this short/ link in the original hack

Does the Due need its own ( normal) power supply or is it fed from USB or Ramps PCB ??

Thanks in advance
September 08, 2015 12:11PM
It's mentioned here ... kind of smiling smiley :

... I also replaces the two cut-off 5V pins in the corner by two long pins which allow me to still access the 5V from the component side. ...

These are the two 5V pins that are cut off on the solder side in order to reconnect 3.3V instead. I replaced them with long pins, so that I can put a jumper cable if I need to go back to 5V operation. The jumper over the two 5V pins is not needed (both pins are 5V), but I put it there just to protect these pins from accidental short.
September 08, 2015 01:49PM
Thanks for the quick response enif

I think i got confused because it doesn't actually indicate to cut off those particular pins . They are just isolated from the boards 5 volts but cutting through the trace. Correct ??
September 08, 2015 02:44PM
Correct, they are cut off from supplying 5V to the RAMPS.

As for your question:

Does the Due need its own ( normal) power supply or is it fed from USB or Ramps PCB ??
It's the same as for ordinary Mega+RAMPS: the Due will run from the RAMPS 12V (provided diode D1 is installed), from the USB or from the Due's powier jack.
September 12, 2015 10:23AM
enif

These are the two 5V pins that are cut off on the solder side in order to reconnect 3.3V instead. .

so they have to be cut off right ??
September 12, 2015 12:54PM
bigfilsing
[so they have to be cut off right ??

Not the pins, but the trace going from them into the RAMPS circuitry, as shown on the lower right of Andrew's first picture here.
September 13, 2015 03:28AM
enif
bigfilsing
[so they have to be cut off right ??

Not the pins, but the trace going from them into the RAMPS circuitry, as shown on the lower right of Andrew's first picture here.

Thanks enif. I some how keep forgetting the relationship between the pins and the cut trace.

SO all the mods are done . Marlin4Due loaded on the Due board. Anything else i should look for before i plug her in and let the magic smoke out ! ??
September 13, 2015 04:13AM
bigfilsing
SO all the mods are done . Marlin4Due loaded on the Due board. Anything else i should look for before i plug her in and let the magic smoke out ! ??

Nothing that I can think of right now... So I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! smiling smiley
September 13, 2015 06:41AM
enif
bigfilsing

Nothing that I can think of right now... So I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! smiling smiley

Well the magic smoke didnt come out BUT ( why does there always has to be a but !) its not working.
The red LED for the bed heater is dimly lit

I think i must have a bad mosfet or maybe cooked it when i soldered it in or something.
I can connect pronterface fine but get some weird temp indications.

Ah well worth a try i guess
Just about to go overseas for work again so it will have to wait to i get back
October 21, 2015 07:18PM
Hi Folks,

I stumbled upon this kid's solution on his instructible at step 20. He soldered up a little board so he can use the original ramp's mosfets.

[www.instructables.com]

Seems to work ok for him.
October 22, 2015 12:15AM
That's likely more work and expense than just putting some MOSFETs on that don't suck . . .

- Tim
October 22, 2015 03:12PM
You may have a point there winking smiley
October 22, 2015 06:41PM
Bigfilsing, Mine is the same as yours RED LED lit. Can connect, but nothing else. Temp is like yours.

Maybe firmware? Hope someone can give me a clue.
October 22, 2015 10:40PM
I checked and tested everything and I can only assume firmware / due issues. Given up on this now. Far better things to do with my time and money. Would have been cool if it had worked but doubtful if any significant practical benifit could be booked. I initially wanted to run a Delta printer with this project. Now a few months on I realise Deltas aren't with the hassle either in my opinion. Dual extrusion is way too complicated on a delta and Bowden limits filament choice.
Scrapped the delta built a solid Cartesian and can now get back to printing rather than fault finding all the time.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login