Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Unused endstops configuration

Posted by normw 
Unused endstops configuration
November 23, 2014 01:31PM
The unused enstops can trigger randomly if they are not properly configured.

The unused endstops should always have the pullup resistors enabled and the endstop inverting set to true. This will insure that the unused endstops will always be open. This applies to all control boards that use the Mega2560 chip. Example:

My printer uses the XMAX, YMAX, and ZMIN endstops. The unused endstops did not have the pullups enabled and the inverting was set to false.

The configuration should be:
#ifdef ENDSTOPPULLUPS
#define ENDSTOPPULLUP_XMAX
#define ENDSTOPPULLUP_YMAX
#define ENDSTOPPULLUP_ZMAX
#define ENDSTOPPULLUP_XMIN
#define ENDSTOPPULLUP_YMIN
#define ENDSTOPPULLUP_ZMIN
#endif

// The pullups are needed if you directly connect a mechanical endswitch between the signal and ground pins.
const bool X_MIN_ENDSTOP_INVERTING = true; // set to true to invert the logic of the endstop. (Not used)
const bool Y_MIN_ENDSTOP_INVERTING = true; // set to true to invert the logic of the endstop. (Not used)
const bool Z_MIN_ENDSTOP_INVERTING = false; // set to true to invert the logic of the endstop. (Mechanical NC switch)
const bool X_MAX_ENDSTOP_INVERTING = false; // set to true to invert the logic of the endstop. (Mechanical NC switch)
const bool Y_MAX_ENDSTOP_INVERTING = false; // set to true to invert the logic of the endstop. (Mechanical NC switch)
const bool Z_MAX_ENDSTOP_INVERTING = true; // set to true to invert the logic of the endstop. (Not used)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2014 10:01AM by normw.
Re: Unused endstops configuration
November 23, 2014 06:23PM
Thank you normw, that was immensely helpful.

I tripped my way through configuring a firmware months ago for a different board and managed to get my printer working great. Now however for a couple of reasons I am trying to change out to a RAMPS 1.4 set up. To compound the effort most of my saved resources from the original programming was lost in a PC crash months ago.

Your post to me reads as a "firmware set up fundamental". And in this case it reminded me to change my settings over to a 3 endstop configuration instead of 6. As important a change as that was to my config it is still one small piece of the larger puzzle currently being dealt with.

I'm certain that being better versed in arduino and its programming in general is definitely needed; however is there a repository of fundamentals specific for setting up reprap firmware? Somewhere to make quick sense of when a 0 needs to be a 1 or even a -1, or when true needs to be false and why etc.

I realize that the specific firmwares and hosts are different from each other yet I feel there is a "basics" wiki I have overlooked somewhere.
Re: Unused endstops configuration
November 24, 2014 10:55AM
wednesday, Arduion is the best tool to use for setup since it excludes any software issues. Use the serial monitor and the "M" and "G" codes - [reprap.org].

Set the serial monitor to "carriage return" and the baud rate to the baud rate specified in your configuration.h file. (can not be higher than 115200)
When the Marlin firmware starts it reports the extruder position as 0, 0, 0 - so you have to home the axis (G28) before you can move the extruder with the "G1" command.
The command letters must be capitalized.

These sites have some information on basic Marlin setup:

[airtripper.com]

[solidutopia.com]

[marlinbuilder.robotfuzz.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2014 05:40PM by normw.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login