Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Z Axis stopped working

Posted by etkoehn 
Z Axis stopped working
November 13, 2013 11:33PM
ok so my z axis stopped working. My stepper driver was ok so I moved it to E1 on the board since I am only using one extruder. Well that worked for a couple of months but that E1(z axis) has also stopped. I bought a new ramps and my drivers still work. Any idea what causing this or any idea on how to fix it? I would like to be able to salvage my ramps board
Re: Z Axis stopped working
November 14, 2013 05:10AM
Bit puzzled here..confused smiley
If the Z axis driver was ok, why move it to E1? And where did the driver chip to replace the one removed from Z come from?
What do you mean by E1(z axis) ?

November 14, 2013 07:30PM
Ok so my z axis stopped working I moved my driver to the other axis to verify it was still ok and it was. So I reprogrammed the pin out so E1 on the ramps board was now my z axis. My new z axis is now E1 on ramps and that one has stopped working.
November 14, 2013 08:55PM
OK gotcha.
Have you tried plugging the Z axis motor plug into the X or Y socket on Ramps board and sent a "move" command to either one from the host software?

November 14, 2013 09:45PM
Yeah motor is fine. It's in the ramps board. We bought a new ramps and everything works so its the old ramps. Buy is there any way to fix the old ramps
November 14, 2013 10:11PM
There is virtually nothing at all on a Ramps board other than sockets, caps, and the MOSFETS. Your problem isn't with the MOSFETS, so that leaves solder joints and the connectors themselves. As far as the steppers are concerned, the Ramps is just a bunch of jumper wires between them and the stepper driver boards (plus a few bypass caps and a fuse). If it was the fuse, you would loose more than the one stepper. Same things is true in general for the bypass caps. About the only other thing in there are a couple of resistors to pull the lines up or down. One of them might be cracked or have fallen off. I'd bet on a bum solder joint.
November 14, 2013 10:13PM
Thanks uncle bob. Where should I look first
November 14, 2013 10:20PM
You need to look at the connectors that the driver board mounts to and that the motor connects to. After that check the traces that go to those pins. Next would be the resistors associated with those pins. Next would be the select jumpers and their headers. Final check would be the select line for that stepper going back to the Mega. That's all from memory, but I think it's pretty complete.
November 14, 2013 10:35PM
thank you very much
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login