Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

SOLVED::Ramps 1.4 and Endstops

Posted by spaceman 
SOLVED::Ramps 1.4 and Endstops
September 02, 2012 06:16AM
Hello.

I have a machine with a Ramps 1.4 board running Marlin. My question is this:

Should triggering an endstop kill the machine or merely stop it and then be able to move in the opposite direction and continue?

I'm coming from a Makerbot enviro. Right now, my machine on Marlin/Ramps, when it hits an endstop, it freezes requiring a reboot. Is this normal?

TIA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2012 05:26PM by spaceman.
Re: Ramps 1.4 and Endstops
September 02, 2012 08:37AM
No That's Not normal,

The whole point of the endstop is to indicate to the printer that it has travelled as far as it should in that direction, so it knows how far from there it can go.

I would suggest first checking that you haven't connected the endstops to your ramps board the wrong way round.

But what I think is actually the case, is that you just have the endstop at the wrong end, so that way when it hits the endstop, its preventing it from moving back, and can only move in the direction towards the end stop.

As a quick test, centralise the axis' and then hold down one of the endstops with your finger, and then test to see which way the board moves.

if it is still freezing even if your just holding the endstop, then I'm not sure, but there are lot of very knowledgeable people on these forums (much more-so than me tongue sticking out smiley)

Hopefully I have been of some help though, and best of luck, I am currently finishing my first build myself.

-Jaramaniac
September 02, 2012 04:22PM
Jaramaniac Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> As a quick test, centralise the axis' and then
> hold down one of the endstops with your finger,
> and then test to see which way the board moves.
>
> if it is still freezing even if your just holding
> the endstop, then I'm not sure, but there are lot
> of very knowledgeable people on these forums (much
> more-so than me tongue sticking out smiley)

Thanks Jara for the quick response.

The Machine still freezes when I click on an endstop so I don't know where to go from here. I'll keep debugging and report back if I find anything.

If anyone else has a suggestion, I'm all ears!
September 02, 2012 05:20PM
Perhaps you have wired the switch so that it shorts GND and 5V when you press it. It should only be connected to GND and the signal pin and should be a normally closed switch.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
September 02, 2012 05:28PM
nophead Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Perhaps you have wired the switch so that it
> shorts GND and 5V when you press it. It should
> only be connected to GND and the signal pin and
> should be a normally closed switch.

USER ERROR! The connectors were wired correctly but inserted into Ramps reversed. If anyone sees their machine behave this way, now you know what to look for.

Thanks to all for your help

Space....out!
February 23, 2014 04:49PM
Can you please clarify what you mean by "inserted into RAMPS reversed"?

I have exactly this problem and am really struggling to find a solution.

The connectors plug onto clearly labelled pins on the RAMPS board so I'm not sure how I could have connected up incorrectly?

Many thanks.

James.
Re: SOLVED::Ramps 1.4 and Endstops
February 23, 2014 09:14PM
Your right. if its a regular microswitch then there is nothing to reverse so I'm puzzled what he means too.

February 23, 2014 09:44PM
Normally mechanical endstops are using two wires( one connects C and other one to NC on switch)
From wiki = Connect S (top row, labelled to the left) on RAMPS to NC on the switch.
Connect GND on RAMPS to C on the switch.
February 24, 2014 01:53AM
The switch is essentially 2 contacts that either touch each other or don't so it doesn't matter which wire goes where in this case.

February 24, 2014 06:07AM
I believe I understand now.

Full explanation on this thread => [forums.reprap.org]

Thanks.

James.
February 24, 2014 04:28PM
I also inserted the end stop plugs the wrong way around when I first built my printer. It caused a direct short between 5v and GND.
It damaged the Ramps board and I had to replace it.
May 02, 2014 07:04PM
jsluke:

What issue told you that your RAMPS board was damaged? I also set up my end stops that grounded the board/ reset it a few times. Wonder if my issue is related...I am having 12V power cut USB connection when the 12V power is turned on.
May 05, 2014 09:51AM
I have also done the same thing.
Do you think that is what is causing this problem?
power trouble

Sage.
July 30, 2014 01:27AM
Hi, this can fridge the ramps and the arduino? I was testing it with printer face, but then the end stops triggered and the smart lcd went blank, the arduino can't get a connection to the pc. Any advice?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login