Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

E0 working but E1 won't move

Posted by punkt12 
E0 working but E1 won't move
December 26, 2015 04:35PM
Hi everyone!

I recently upgraded my printer for dual extrusion.

First I was experiencing a error compiling Marlin firmware after setting the following value in configuration.h:

#define EXTRUDERS 2

I made sure to update to version Marlin-1.1.0-RC2 which then compiles fine with the above setting. I am using the EEB config. Both hotends are working as intended (heating + temperature readout).

But when I want to extrude some filament only the extruder E0 is working. E1 won't move at all.

To verify my wiring and drivers I swapped my stepper motors. Again only E0 will work and E1 won't move.
After that I swapped drivers. Again only the stepper connected to E0 will move. E1 won't flinch.

I checked the pin assignment in pins_RAMPS_13.h for E0 and E1 and it seems right.

I am pretty clueless right now sad smiley
Has anyone experienced the same issue? Any more tips for troubleshooting?
Re: E0 working but E1 won't move
December 26, 2015 09:22PM
how are you testing this?

you do know about the tool gcode command?

ie in most firmwares they is always only x,y,z and e axis

The T command switches which tool is currently on axis e

Ie send a T1 to the printer then extrude and it should start extruding from e1 then T0 switches E back to e0
December 27, 2015 02:27AM
In pronterface you can also define the number of extruder in "options/settings" then you have a switchbox to chose which extruder is on duty.
December 27, 2015 05:01AM
Sorry I forgot to mention it! In order to rule out any error with the control software I am sending raw G code via Octoprint's terminal to the Arduino MEGA board.

I am using this code:

; Wait for both hotends to reach target temperature
T0
M109 S190
T1
M109 S190

; Test extrude on E0
T0       ; Activate E0
G91      ; Switch to relative positioning
G1 E5    ; Extrude 5mm
G90      ; Switch back to relative positioning

; Test extrude on E1
T1       ; Activate E1
G91      ; Switch to relative positioning
G1 E5    ; Extrude 5mm
G90      ; Switch back to relative positioning
December 28, 2015 03:18AM
Just a shot in the dark, but try to add a Fxxxx speed parameter to the G1 E5 line....Maybe there is no default speed definition for the E1 extruder?
-Olaf
December 28, 2015 09:00AM
Thanks Olaf for helping me out there!

Unfortunately providing a feedrate did not change anything sad smiley
Still no movement on E1 axis.

I triple checked my wiring and microsteps jumpers and can't find anything there. I will try to set the pin manually using a simple Arduino sketch and see if the digital ports and PCB are ok.
December 30, 2015 06:10PM
UPDATE

I removed the RAMPS board and traced all pins to the Arduino => Everything OK
I wrote a sketch for the Arduino and set the digital pins HIGH and LOW manually => Everything OK
At this point I pretty much ruled any hardware fault. Frustrated I downloaded the Repetier firmware 0.92 => Everything OK

It seems that Marlin-1.1.0-RC2 or my configuration of Marlin has an issue when driving two extruders.
I couldn't be bothered to investigate further what's causing the problems. I just want to leave this piece of information here for others having the same problem.
December 30, 2015 11:35PM
why do inexperienced people keep trying to run the RC (release candidate) version of marlin... vs the stable released version....
December 31, 2015 07:59AM
I got compilation errors when I tried setting EXTRUDERS to 2 when using my original Marlin firmware (something a bit older than 1.0.1).
Others suggested using one of the latest releases. In my case I thought to give RC2 a try.

Probably the error is introduced by splitting of pins.h into all the separate variants now.
Isn't testing of new RCs necessary for their success? I mean if nobody would find bugs how would a RC become a stable version?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login