Prusa Mendel w/Wades Extruder (3mm PLA)
J-Head Mk IV-B (0.5)
Heated Bed
RAMPS 1.4
Kliment-Sprinter (Arduino 22)
Skeinforge
Printrun Pronterface
----------------------------------------------------------------------

We just recently got our printer working. Had a couple days of some very fun un-sloppy printing.

About a day ago, the heater port (D10) LED started blinking shortly after reaching the target temperature (in Pronterface).

Now the extruder heater just reaches the target temperature and shuts off. About 1 minute later, Pronterface starts reading the temp again.

I tested the thermistor value after I quickly pulled (fun) the heater bed & extruder thermistor connector and tested the resistance.. It read 2.xxx k ohms.

I let the extruder thermistor cool down while testing the Ohms, it wet back to ~100 k ohm.

Even rechecked and reloaded the firmware.

Anybody have any ideas?
Re: Extruder Heater: Reaches Temp, then termistor not readable
March 03, 2012 06:21PM
There is an over temperature protection in the firmware. It shuts down the hot end if it goes over a set temperature. It can do this mid print which is a pain. My printer worked fine for weeks , then I had this issue. Its probably due to interference in the cabling when I resited my printer. There are reading spikes from the thermistor, one of which triggers the over temperature protection.

Check your firmware. I have my temperature protection set up to around 275 degrees I run ABS at around 255 degrees so this seems about right. Also switch on "temperature smoothing" this averages out the readings so you dont get high temperature spikes.
March 05, 2012 08:50PM
I think this helped a lot, I noticed the temps were a little low and I think my molex connectors for my extruder are sub-par. lol... Need to find a proper crimping tool for sure.

Thanks for your help!
March 08, 2012 05:21PM
The heat could be affecting the connection of the thermistor at the hotend side. you can make a very good connection without crimps by wrapping the 2 wires to connect around each other once then tightly back around themselves.

It could also be shorting to the heater wires sad smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login