Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Can I try RAMPS on a breadboard?

Posted by oniric 
Can I try RAMPS on a breadboard?
February 06, 2012 03:55AM
Hi,
I have this simple question for you: is it possible to build RAMPS electronics on a prototyping breadboard and make it work?

I would like to build it but I'm not very good at soldering sad smiley
Re: Can I try RAMPS on a breadboard?
February 07, 2012 04:17AM
The heater wires and probably the motor wires carry too much current for a breadboard, so at least some soldering would still be needed.

RAMPS can be bought ready-assembled; this obviously costs more, but would be a large time saving over either designing your own breadboard layout or struggling to solder the standard DIY version.
February 07, 2012 07:55AM
I saw on the wiki that it's possible to use an Arduino Proto Shield to build RAMPS. Do you think this has the same limitations of a breadboard?
VDX
February 07, 2012 10:01AM
... it's both an option - you only have to use thicker wires for the stepperdriver-source, the motor wires and heaters, if driven with your prototype too. Soldering with a proto shield is more fail-proof ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
February 08, 2012 05:28AM
Thank you! Now back to basics, I'm waiting for some transistors to start playing with Arduino Mega and motors winking smiley
February 08, 2012 10:54PM
I built my first RAMPS 1.2 on a breadboard. It worked but not very well. The current carrying capacity of the breadboard traces is sub-par. I upgraded to the commercial RAMPS 1.4 board and it's much better. You could prototype it out but it's lots of work. (but it will save you ~$80).

Attachments:
open | download - ramps breadboard.jpeg (134.3 KB)
February 09, 2012 07:53AM
I see, well probably much of the cost of the RAMPS board come from the Pololu Drivers ^^ Also my breadboard is much smaller than yours XD It would be a pain to use...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login