Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

[solved] no Z axis movement

Posted by zg_bot 
[solved] no Z axis movement
January 10, 2012 07:44PM
hello I posted this in the firmware section
[forums.reprap.org]

and cant seem to get any advise or solutions. I have tested all the hardware and it all works, downloaded the newest sprinter software and can get everything to work (both heaters, both temp, x, y and extruder all work perfectly when using pronterface but nothing that i do is getting the Z axis to work.

I have 3 sets of ramps boards and no matter what i plug into the printer i get the same issues, everything works except for the Z

I apologize for double posting this but i was hoping that someone can help that may not go in the firmware section. I have been stuck with three non functioning printers for a few months now and i am really frustrated with the complete fractured nature of the reprap project. hate to say it but this technology will never take off if people cant even compile the available firmware with the most recent arduino software (that was a few weeks of frustration until i figured that out, nice there is no mention of that anywhere). I have been printing with a self sourced/built makerbot for 2 years so i kind of know what i am doing.. not a complete noob anyway..

if anyone can help get this running it would be greatly appreciated. if someone can send me a firmware that works i can tweak it to get it configured to what i have. or at least try.

I had to downgrade my arduino software since the newest one wont compile the sprinter firmware.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2012 12:02AM by zg_bot.
Re: no Z axis movement
January 10, 2012 07:52PM
is there any kind of test code for ramps 1.2 boards like i just found for ramps 1.4 boards?
January 11, 2012 02:52AM
Are you trying to run the Z-axis too fast?
Try a speed of say 60mm/m (1mm/s).

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
January 11, 2012 04:26AM
Can you check the current of your stepsticks?

Did you double-check the correct board wiring and the stepmotors wires correctly?
January 11, 2012 09:28AM

technology will never take off if people cant even compile the available firmware with the most recent arduino software

Arduino keep making non-backwards compatible changes to their library, hardly the fault of RepRap. Each time it needs a few tweaks to the firmware. Trivial if you are a programmer, but the whole point of Arduno is it is aimed at non-programmers.

Having said that, I don't use libraries in embedded projects for exactly this reason.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
January 11, 2012 01:52PM
thanks for the responses.. I have tested everything and everything on the machine works except the z axis on all three of my machines. i can move the Z when i plug in the motors to the X axis (its not moving to scale but its moving smoothy) and using the Z endstop on the X port (i know the z works with its endstop on all three of my ramps setups). extruder works, heaters work (bed and nozzle) thermistors work (bed and nozzle). I get no sound or any response when i try to get the Z to move.

I completely understand that it is no fault of the developers of this firmware what arduino does, but there should be a huge bold mention of it on the sprinter firmware page..

all i am saying is its hard enough for a beginner to figure out any of this stuff, i built a cupcake from mcmaster carr and sdpsi parts and my own laser cut parts, I have been using it for 2 years with a stepper extruder with gen 3 boards and i cant figure any of this stuff out.. the instructions for physically building these machines make it look like its easy as legos, then once its built there is absolutely no instructions, guides, or anything to get firmware loaded and working. its been like this for over a year now. does anyone else see this as a problem?

i just dont understand why there is not a simple web page that says build this machine with these parts, get these electronics and this firmware, use this software to compile/load it to the board. then you have the variables of tuning the machine where you will need to understand a few things and make changes specific to your machine. it might not be the most cutting edge or "best" but it just works. I understand that it will be out of date the day its posted but who cares. it will print things and it will be easy and it will work, and really that is the only things a 3d printer should do.

it seems like everyone involved in making these machines/software and firmware is only interested in changing the designs, changing the electronics, changing the firmware, forking the firmware etc.. that is awesome for the development of the machines and the technology as a whole but its daunting for anyone who wants to get into building a working printer.

I dont care if the firmware is old, software is old or the design of the machine is out of date. I have 3 built prusa mendels printers that i want to give away to a school where i live but i cant do it because i cant even figure it out.. giving away something that will likely create a lot of interest only to realize that it just wont work or is impossible to figure out is cruel.. I have printed 9 sets of plastic for prusa mendels on my cupcake that i want to give away and i cant even get one to work.

sorry for the rant and thanks for the suggestions on trying to help get my printer running. I wish i lived somewhere close to a place where people were working on this stuff..
January 11, 2012 02:50PM
Can you post a picture of the board wired up, perhaps somebody will spot something.

Do the z-motors lock or are they not getting any power at all?

If there is no power the enable signal must not be getting to the Pololu. The only reason I can think of for that on three boards is the pin definitions in the firmware are wrong.

Do you have a multi-meter? If so measure the voltages on the Z Pololu pins. There should be 12V on the VMOT pin, 5V on VDD and the enable pin should be close to 0V when the axis is instructed to move. Note that Z is different from X & Y in that it is disabled between moves.

January 11, 2012 03:26PM
thanks i will try that out tonight and post a pic of the board. (Z is all wired up the same as the other axises and it works when i plug it into the x or y motor ports)

i am not getting anything at all on the Z. i know the pololu works (swapped the chip with the X) and it drives the x no problem so the chips are ok.

I dont recall changing any pin definitions (only changed board type, thermistors and end-stop settings in the config file)

I will download the firmware again and start fresh to see if there is any difference. the pin assignments shouldn't change at all for a general setup of the machine with a ramps 1.2 and a mega 1280 right?

if i change it to enabled between moves (just for testing) would the VDD be close to 0 all the time?

thanks for the help
January 11, 2012 03:50PM
I think there are some pin differences between RAMPS versions but never having used it myself I don't know if Z moved.

Yes if it is enabled between moves it should behave the same as X & Y and the enable pin will be low when they are enabled.

January 11, 2012 04:30PM
well i think i just figured it out.

when i bought my sdramps boards the company told me to cut the pins off the ramps boards (pins 44-55) plug the sdramps directly into the arduino then put the ramps board on top.

basically they told me to cut the pins of the Z axis movement to fit that board on. not knowing anything about the pinouts i did what i was told and that was clearly a mistake.

i cut off all the pins on the bottom of my ramps boards that are in the red square so there is no step or direction pin anymore. I have some soldering to do tonight to see if i can fix this.

extremely frustrating to say the least...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2012 04:31PM by zg_bot.
Attachments:
open | download - Screen shot 2012-01-11 at 2.22.57 PM.jpg (157.1 KB)
January 11, 2012 08:34PM
zg_bot Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> well i think i just figured it out.
>
> when i bought my sdramps boards the company told
> me to cut the pins off the ramps boards (pins
> 44-55) plug the sdramps directly into the arduino
> then put the ramps board on top.
>
> basically they told me to cut the pins of the Z
> axis movement to fit that board on. not knowing
> anything about the pinouts i did what i was told
> and that was clearly a mistake.
>
> i cut off all the pins on the bottom of my ramps
> boards that are in the red square so there is no
> step or direction pin anymore. I have some
> soldering to do tonight to see if i can fix this.
>
> extremely frustrating to say the least...

I have my SDRAMPS daughter-board plugged into my RAMPS, rather than direct to the Arduino Mega - no need to cut any pins at all - just solder in a socket onto the top of the RAMPS. Note also that there is a subtle difference in the pin locations for the SDRAMPS on RAMPS 1.3 and RAMPS 1.4 - see my write-up about how I got my SDRAMPS working on my RAMPS 1.4 board here: [julianh72.blogspot.com]

I have since gone one step further as well - I am now printing completely wirelessly, using SDRAMPS and XBee - see blatant self-promotion here: [julianh72.blogspot.com]

:

Follow my Mendel Prusa build here: [julianh72.blogspot.com]
January 11, 2012 11:18PM
well that was it. the pins they told me to remove were the z enable and z step it all works now.

thanks for the help.

i think i am going to skip anything non standard for now. i really dont need another 2 months of troubleshooting something when the solution is to plug the computer in with a usb. that looks like its really nice but not something that i need at the moment.

I am using ramps 1.2 boards and the sdramps that i got were all pre made with the pins attached. the only way to plug them into the 1.2 ramps is to make some modifications. just dont do what lulzbot tells you to do.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2012 11:32PM by zg_bot.
February 08, 2012 03:21PM
Hello,
This is Steven from LulzBot (reprapperMC). That was a huge mistake on my part. We did not have any RAMPS 1.2 on hand at the time to reference. I was working from what I had (thought I) remembered doing on my personal RAMPS 1.0 months and months ago. I thought I had cut all of the pins but had actually only cut pins 48 through 55 and soldered 44 through 47 through the SDRAMPS. Again, sorry for all of the complications.

One thing, I would highly recommend if you ever have any problems to contact us. During our business hours we generally get back to you within a couple hours and definitly within the next day. It is possible we could have figured out our mistake much earlier. I know many RepRap companies have gained the reputation of lacking in support but we really push for great customer service. We do make mistakes, but when we know about them we instantly jump to fix them.

Sorry again and I'm glad to hear you did figure it out. Happy printing.
March 30, 2012 07:59AM
Hi nophead,

I am having an issue with a new printer I am developing. You mention that the Z-axis is disabled between moves. I am using Pronterface and I can move the z-axis but it does appear to be disabled immediately after the move and my Z-axis slips down. Do you know where the z-axis is disabled? I would like to keep it enabled so that it would have some holding current.

Thanks,
Scott
Re: [solved] no Z axis movement
March 31, 2012 08:00AM
In Teacup, watch out where z_enable() is used and move it next to x_enable() and y_enable().

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

April 10, 2012 01:33AM
In Sprinter's configuration.h file, use

const bool DISABLE_Z = false;
February 02, 2018 09:34PM
I have a similar problem. Updated my Ramps 1.4 to 24vdc. Z motors will sometime power on but not move when commanded via the Repetier software. Others time they will not even power on. Sometimes there is the sound of a "pulse" and nothing. Check the wiring against information found on the web (which can vary the pin names 2b, b2 a, 1 and color code of wires). The Z axis doesn't drive any motors. I have to say this has been one of the worst things I ever had to build. I consider myself to be good at troubleshooting hardware, software not so good. Everything worked (to some degree) before. I'm using the same firmware as before the upgrade. Nothing has been cut. I've struggling with this build (on and off) for 5 months. Every time I think it's finished something stops working (and that's just between power cycling or connecting and disconnecting the UScool smiley. I've replaced every board and drivers, which lead to new problems with the already working parts. Currently my RAMPS 1.4 board is running on 24 vdc, Arduino is powered by a LM2596 24 to 12 converter supplying 10 vdc to the Arduino, DVR8825 stepper drivers. I've even tried a Keyestudio Arduino Ramps 24 vdc combo board (it blew up three stepper drivers). Desperate for help.
February 02, 2018 09:36PM
Sorry forgot to mention that my printer is a Core XY Hypercube Evolution
February 03, 2018 12:58AM
Run the ramps test firmware... [reprap.org]

NB you tacked your question onto a thread that is marked as solved.... most are not going to see this.
February 03, 2018 05:02PM
How do I move it?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login