Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

ramps 1.4 intermittent stepping

Posted by dougm 
ramps 1.4 intermittent stepping
October 22, 2011 06:54PM
I am configuring RAMPS 1.4 with an arduino mega2560 from Ultimachine.

In the configuration.h I set the motherboard to 33, turned off SDSupport and changed DISABLE_Z to false. Left everything else unchanged.

I compiled successfully, downloaded and was able to connect to and communicate with the board from RepG.

I downloaded and installed Pronterface, and am able to connect.

The problem is that my stepper motors only work intermittently, then after a time they stop working at all.

So I removed the pololu and attached a logic analyzer to the step and direction signals of X.

I press the X+100 button on pronterface and I see the direction line go high and some blips on the step line. I press X-100 and I see the direction line go low and no blips on the step line. I press X+100 again and I get no signals at all. After that I get no response until I hard reset.

I have nothing else attached to the board yet. No no heaters, no thermistors, etc.

In Pronterface if I check the Monitor Printer box I see ok T:0 B:0 lines every second so the processor is not frozen.

Can anyone provide insight into where I should start looking for the issue?

Thanks,

DougM
Re: ramps 1.4 intermittent stepping
October 23, 2011 12:56PM
Found it - end-stop pin float. The default configuration turns on the internal pull-ups and sets the ENDSTOPS_INVERTING = false. So oddly the pull-ups must be so weak that they take a while to pull up.

In any event changing the ENDSTOPS_INVERTING = true fixes it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login