Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

repsnapper and gen6 help

Posted by mxcobra 
repsnapper and gen6 help
March 03, 2012 08:33PM
I have a prusa with gen6 electronics. But I'm having issues getting it to connect. i have the windows com usb driver loaded up, and my laptop sees it just fine. when i launch resnapper and seclect the comport it does not seem to connect. the green light comes on (in the program) then goes out after 4 seconds.

i have wired up only my XY and Z axis motors. i only want to test motion before i wire up everything else.
Re: repsnapper and gen6 help
March 04, 2012 05:45PM
Wish I could get a little more support on this ... I have googled it until I'm blue in the face and came up with nothing...

I have setup my com port to 2, and set the baud to 19200 (same for repsnapper) .. ( I have also tried different ports with the same result)

It sends the M105 singal, and after a few tries, it never connects..

17:32:36 Send >>Connecting to port: COM2 at speed 19200
17:32:37 Send >>Sending:M105
17:32:38 Send >>Sending:M105
17:32:38 Send >>Sending:M105
17:32:39 Send >>Sending:M105
17:32:40 Send >>Sending:M105
17:32:41 Send >>Sending:M105
17:32:41 Send >>Sending:M105
17:32:42 Send >>Connection attempt timed out
17:32:44 Send >>Sending:M105
17:32:47 Send >>Sending:M105
17:32:50 Send >>Sending:M105

I have read a little and some people say you need the optos connected. Others say you dont... ( I would have mine wired up, if they came with a diagram... still looking for one)

So much for Gen 6 electronics being "easy" ...

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer

mxcobra Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have a prusa with gen6 electronics. But I'm
> having issues getting it to connect. i have the
> windows com usb driver loaded up, and my laptop
> sees it just fine. when i launch resnapper and
> seclect the comport it does not seem to connect.
> the green light comes on (in the program) then
> goes out after 4 seconds.
>
> i have wired up only my XY and Z axis motors. i
> only want to test motion before i wire up
> everything else.
March 05, 2012 11:18AM
I'm not sure I can give you a reason immediately for things not working, but perhaps I can make some suggestions.

Ignore the M105 command (switch of temp monitoring in RepSnapper). It is RepSnapper continually asking for the extruder temperature. If you have comm's problems, this repetitive message getting sent out over the UART is not helping.

You don't mention which firmware you are using, so I'm assuming it is the default firmware that comes with Gen6. Have you confirmed the BAUD rate settings in the firmware? They are in the config.h file.

I would also recommend downloading portmon and watching what goes out and back over the UART. You may see garbage coming back, suggesting incompatible BAUD rates.

I can't recall if I've ever had my opto's disconnected during boot time before. I'm not sure I have, but it shouldn't prevent the host from creating a comms connection. It will prevent any movement though once it has connected.

Good luck.

James

--
Check out my blog: AdventuresIn3-DPrinting
March 06, 2012 08:13AM
Well, Your help did help point me in the right direction... I was using Merlin firmware, but seems this might have been my issue all along.. I reflashed my gen6 with Sprinter, changed the baud to 19200... BAM, it works !

I have an issue going on with my Y axis, it seems to lock up the motor.. ( could be motor or wiring ) I will double check today.

I was able to move both Z & X in one direction using repsnapper. I know it will only move in 1 direction until I get the optos wired up. I also hope to get this done later today...

It was a good night for working on the reprap, made some good progress... nice to see the thing MOVE !!
April 16, 2012 04:22AM
I hope someone on this forum can help.

I have pronterface, and replicatorg running fine but want to check out repsnapper as well but can't seem to get a straight answer anywhere on the net.

I have been on repsnapper.irc and got nothing but frustation.

I have downloaded the latest version of repsnapper but do not understand how to get it running.

I cannot find an executable file to start the program. There is probably some simple answer but it escapes me. I have been around computers since the first vz300 in the 80s so I am not new to computers but this is really frustrating.

Any direction woould be very appreciated.

Greg
April 17, 2012 01:55PM
Greg, you need to compile it. Depending on your OS, follow the instructions on github. However, the caveat is that it seems to only run well under Linux. Honestly, it's a real shame how difficult Repsnapper is to use now. Under Linux, it has a fantastic gcode slicer, in the same league as Slic3r, and a wonderful gcode visualiser. But it is buggy and difficult to compile under any other OS (I'm not even sure if any one has even managed it). My advice is to run it in a Ubuntu VM if you are on Mac or Windows. And hope that it gets sorted out one day.
June 08, 2012 10:37AM
Guys I have exactly the same problem, where I can find loader and firmware for GEN6 electronics? I have ALL STAR model printer should firmware be different, or once I upload new firmware the printer will work fine? Please do not judge tuff as I'm new to this side of the FAN
August 17, 2012 09:28PM
I have the model down from you i think, i have firmware problems, did u get it from 3dstuffmaker?
December 05, 2012 10:30AM
Firmware should be open source and you can get it in reprap

Firmwares like Marlin, Teacup supports Gen6 you can download it and use it
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login