Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Lasers !?!

Posted by SebastienBailard 
Lasers !?!
December 08, 2010 03:01AM
Tansen, (and other Labitat.dk folk)

smileys with beerDid you see the reprap-dev discussion about your work, and relevance of lasers?smileys with beer
http://reprap.org/pipermail/reprap-dev/2010-December/002038.html

Cheers,

-Sebastien, RepRap.org library gnome.

Remember, you're all RepRap developers (once you've joined the super-secret developer mailing list), and the wiki, RepRap.org, [reprap.org] is for everyone and everything! grinning smiley
Re: Lasers !?!
December 08, 2010 09:09AM
Hi
I think this quote is useful here "Its important to support all ways to belief"

Yes I have see the discussion, you can see the discussion so far below the dotted line;
Here's a few thoughts?

The route to dimensionally finished parts
An existing route to produce dimensionally finished parts is CNC combined with EDM ( electrical discharge machining) but these are high tool force processes so each different shaped article requires specialized attachment method by a highly skilled operator.

Electron beam melting printer and Focused Ion beam milling is a path to producing dimensionally finished parts.
Parts that have excellent metallurgy and surface finish, using low tool force processes.

SLS on the other hand produces near finished parts, so it is still needed to mill, grind and polish after printing, or severely limit the design to take this in to account.

The other problem is as Adrian Bowyer says " we will probably never be able to reprap a laser" so we have this cost factor; Nd Yag Q pulse lasers that are powerful enough  to correct/ vaporize the metal errors  are currently around 100,000 euro each.
Lower power lasers can sinter parts producing high porosity near finished parts ( ie not equivalent to milled / grinded metal parts).

Come on board and join any of the projects. Here Ebm , SLS has also a forum on reprap elsewhere.

kind regards
Rapatan

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have you and the rest of the Labitat.dk reprap team experimented with
laser-sintering? It should be much easier to prototype. grinning smiley

Yes, but their goal of electron beam melting would be many times more useful if successful. Electron beam melting produces many times stronger parts than SLS and can be used in areas traditionally limited to milled and cast parts. There is a reason NASA is keen on this stuff smiling smiley

It's a lofty goal but I'd hate to distract the only team working on it with the arguably less useful goal of SLS.

Cheers,
Rob

On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 12:53 PM, Leo Dearden wrote:

Viktor, (or anyone?)

Do you have any information about (IR) absorption spectra for metals? I'm thinking specifically about laser soldering, but metal sintering is interesting too. Is there a good reason to choose 808nm vs 975nm for these purposes?

On 2 December 2010 11:48, Viktor Dirks wrote:

... powder-lasersintering is much simpler to realize than EBM - powders from plastic, ceramics and lignin (thermoplastic dust made from wood) or gold can be sintered with air, most metals reacts with oxygene, so need an inert atmosphere of nitrogen or argon.

Common fiber-coupled 9Watt-laserdiodes with 808 or 975nm wavelength can be bought for around 300 Euros from Lumics, i'm working with salvaged 5Watt-diodes with 975nm or 1Watt-diodes with 445nm, what's enough energy for engraving dark organic materials or melt many powder types ...

Viktor

Am 02.12.2010 11:43, schrieb Sebastien Bailard:

Tansen,

Regarding
[reprap.org]

Have you and the rest of the Labitat.dk reprap team experimented with
laser-sintering? It should be much easier to prototype. grinning smiley

Cheers,
-Sebastien

Viktor Dirks wrote:

... for ebm you need high vacuum, as te electrons can't pass any
atmosphere ...

Metal powder sintering can be achieved with a laser in inert gas much
easier, as you don't need a such rigid/stable sealed chamber needed for
vacuum.

I tried with 5Watt-diodes @975nm, whats melting all sort of absorbing
powders, even metals, but for on air oxidizing materials i'll need a
stream of Argon (pure Nitrogen is often enough too) on the melting spot
or better a chamber around flooded with Argon.

Much better sintering is with the 50Watts-fiberlaser @1070nm - i can
reduce the spotsize down to 5 microns for real superb accuracies, but
its melting mineralic and metallic powder even with 1 Watt energy at a
spot of 50 microns size ...

Viktor
VDX
December 08, 2010 04:58PM
... i'm building/selling my third 5Watt-diodelaser-module and have sold two 'naked' 5Watt-diodes some months ago, but the feedback is something poor, so there isn't so much experience with low-power IR-diodelasers 'in the wild'.

My actual laserwork is mostly with 2 to 3 Watts on a spot of 0.1mm for cutting labels and stickers and i'm busy with enhancing the 50Watt-fiberlaser with an AOM-head for highspeed modulation ... then this will be my favorite tool.

The next days i'll get some 9Watts- and 20Watts-diodes, but i don't have the drivers for this powers ready, so it can take a while for ready to use 20Watt-modules.

I think, when ready with the ordered lasers and my old lathe is functional, i can jump into SLS with 20Watts@975nm on a spot of 0.2mm size and 50Watts@1070nm on a spot of 0.02mm ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
December 26, 2011 02:18PM
I just thought why not combine the 2:

Any laser beam can be used to ionize air. We can form a plasma channel to conduct the current onto the workarea.

Possibly this will not suffice to do it in full atmospheric pressure (or it can, that depends how good the beam can be focused). But we could at least come up with enough laser energy to have usable results with a lower quality vacuum.
VDX
December 26, 2011 07:01PM
... for ionizing air you need much higher energy densities, than diode-lasers with 'only' some ten Watts can generate - here you need pulsing lasers with maybe 30 Watts/500mJ average power or CW-lasers with some 100 Watts!

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

December 26, 2011 11:55PM
VDX Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ... for ionizing air you need much higher energy
> densities, than diode-lasers with 'only' some ten
> Watts can generate - here you need pulsing lasers
> with maybe 30 Watts/500mJ average power or
> CW-lasers with some 100 Watts!

Well as suggested, it should be combined with a reasonable vacuum. So since the power needed is linearly proportional to the number of molecules we want to effect there should be some compromise between laser energy and vacuum magnitude possible!

To that comes that we don't need to keep up the ionization up the whole time, once we 've got the first current flowing the discharge should be able to support itself till we have the spot melted. Much experimentation has to be done on how far this can be exploited, we don't want the discharge to arc out of the target area.

What might be tricky is combining the 2 in a meaningful way. The electrode would cause interference on the laser and and laser scanner would have to be compatible to the high voltage environment. Again it has to be a compromise, but I think that my suggestion might work this time.
If anything this project needs some compromises...
VDX
December 28, 2011 06:52AM
... it's more the energy density, what's the killer-kriterium, not so much the vacuum-purity.

AFAIK you'll need around or more than 2GW/cm^2 for an breakdown, as you have to achieve an electric field capable of ionizing the outer electrons in the gas molecules (around some eV?).

This is no problem with a Q-switched 60W-NdYAG-Laser, where the accumulated pumped energy is concentrated in a short pulse with some nanoseconds duration.

But with a CW-laser, where you modulate the max. possible CW-energy only you'll need energies up to some Megawatts for the needed energy densities!

So won't be possible with diodelasers or cheap CW-lasers ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2011 10:42AM by VDX.

Viktor
--------

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login