Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Sintering Alpha Aluminium Oxide (a-AI2O3) Need a Binder

Posted by crob09 
Sintering Alpha Aluminium Oxide (a-AI2O3) Need a Binder
September 04, 2014 07:07PM
Hello,

I hope I'm in the proper place, please let me know if I should be on another Forum for this.

Here is my question, if I have a deposition head like this Universal Past Extruder: [www.thingiverse.com]

And I have Alpha Aluminium Oxide powder (a-AI2O3 @ 10um), what do I use as a binder? "Darvan C" or some slurry with Dextrin powder? If it's the Dextrin what do I add to it... Water?

If I use one of them as a binder would I use a Laser or IR to Sinter before adding a new layer of powder and hardener? If so at what concentration or spec? The Ceramics are for a Piezo application.

I'm trying to print some green ceramics and will be firing them after so the binder doesn't need to be permanent, any suggestions, links, or tips are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help and time,

Rob
VDX
Re: Sintering Alpha Aluminium Oxide (a-AI2O3) Need a Binder
September 05, 2014 04:41PM
... for a laser-brazing project some years ago I've mixed different powders with dexpanthenol (and some water for adjusting the fluidity) and preheated and sintered/brazed the paste with a 9Watt IR-laserdiode ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
September 05, 2014 07:01PM
Thank you Viktor!

I'll look into the dexpanthenol and give it a try!

This is Vitamin B5?? Interesting stuff!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2014 07:11PM by crob09.
A2
September 06, 2014 03:43PM
@crob09:
Where did you purchase the Alpha Aluminium Oxide powder (a-AI2O3 @ 10um)?
tks.
September 08, 2014 12:34PM
I actually didn't procure it, an engineer at my work did and I'm not sure if he'll share that info; he may have a concern about Intellectual Property so I can ask but please note that I'm limited on what information I can provide.
if I disclose the wrong thing it may cost me my employment, but I will ask and will get back to you if I'm able.

Hope you understand.

Rob
A2
September 08, 2014 10:22PM
@crob09: tks, and no worries if you can't disclose it's source.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login