Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Salvage parts from old TVs?

Posted by jdccdevel 
Salvage parts from old TVs?
November 09, 2012 04:32PM
Hi!

I've been lurking for a while, and this project is so awesome, I can't help but want to help.

I've been looking at the specs, and I understand that the electron gun from a old CRT TV isn't powerfull enough for this. However, some of the other parts (beam deflectors, lenses, filaments, power supplies, etc) are already there.

It seems to me that an old CRT monitor or TV would be a great source for parts for getting the SEM vision system working, and figuring out the rest of the systems involved (the vaccum chamber, software for aiming the beam, calibration routines, etc).

With a readily available source for parts, systems development could be done in parallel, with materials that most computer people have lying around in a junk pile. Once the power supply and high energy electron gun is finished, it could then be swapped into a "mostly working" system.

Is there any reason why this couldn't work?
Re: Salvage parts from old TVs?
November 12, 2012 04:41AM
hi
we have been considering this?
Two large TV tubes with screens drilled through with appox 16inch circular holes , placed face to face with oring between screens, one neck removed where our electron gun is inserted via a o ring, is one path to save 2K euro of chamber metal and get 1 set of free electrical feedthroughs for motors (motors working in chamber) , If you want to help us investigate it by finding best way to cut the circlular holes in large TV screens after being depressurized, and see if large buna rubber seals sitting on screen with the addition of an inner retaining ring will seal.

The beam fine adjustment magnets on some sets may work for fine adjustment we think?
kind regards
MetalicaRap team

link to Cathode ray tube disassembly
[www.youtube.com]
Be safe out there!

P.S
The power supplies need to be 60KV+ , the filaments need to be at leaste a 1mm diameter.
The electrostatic beam delflection and focusing (einzel lens) is not our current route due to insulation cost problems as the physics demands they handle similar magnitude of voltage as the beam acceleration voltage to affect the beam.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login