Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Original Huxley build questions

Posted by Dam 
Dam
Original Huxley build questions
June 25, 2016 08:16AM
Hi all,

New to this forum and to 3D printing.. Really looking forward to getting started. Apologies for the noob question. (and probably more questions that will follow)

Yesterday I received a Huxley printer, the one from the Kickstarter that ran in I think 2011. A friend quite amazingly sent it to me as I really want to get into 3D printing. From what I understand, the kit wasn't ever really used.

I only have access to the instructions that are on the reprap wiki. They seem to be for a newer version of the huxley so I am quite stuck. The wiki says the heat bed thermos must be connected to the Sanguinolu so the live is on the correct pin. It says that the live wire is the striped wire. Problem is the wires on the one that I have are red. I took it to an electronic shop and they didn't recognize it as a thermos at all. I only assume it is, as it's the second set of wires coming from the heat bed and the first set is obviously the heating wire. (no idea what it's called)

Here is a picture of item in question - [www.dropbox.com]

If that is indeed the thermos does anyone know if the order in which is connected matters or not?

Much thanks smiling smiley

Damian
Re: Original Huxley build questions
June 25, 2016 02:38PM
How the thermistor connects doesn't matter. It's just a resistor that varies it's resistance with temperature.
Dam
June 25, 2016 03:56PM
Thank you very much for your response.

I've hit another wall, this one seems like it might stop me in my tracks completely. I have everything connected. Though I connect it to a PC via USB and the computer doesn't pick anything up. I have looked for drivers and installed what was said to be the driver for the controller. Also tried downloading the python script, and the precompiled Pronterface. Though I can't get any connection. The light on the board comes on when it is connected but the PC doesn't register anything being connected.

Sounds like something is broken to me.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I hope it's not completely broken.

Thanks!

Damian
June 26, 2016 11:33AM
You need FTDI drivers, google will find them.
Dam
June 26, 2016 03:43PM
Thank you for the suggestion. Unfortunately I have tried installing the FTDI drivers that I found on their website. It didn't help.

My computer doesn't recognize anything is connected.
August 17, 2016 07:18AM
That item on your picture is a thermocouple, not a thermistor.
It must be interfaced another way, sometimes using a dedicated IC or controller board.
The order of connection matters for thermocouples, but I believe some controllers are smart enough to check and adjust automagically.

Could your post pictures of your electronics boards so we try to identify it ? Or if you know its name and version, just tell.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2016 07:20AM by DeuxVis.

Most of my technical comments should be correct, but is THIS one ?
Anyway, as a rule of thumb, always double check what people write.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login