Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Huxley - Ubuntu USB driver issue

Posted by 3d@thegallery 
Huxley - Ubuntu USB driver issue
October 25, 2014 06:27AM
Hi All,

I'm a little stumped with this, so I'm hoping you can help. I've recently built a huxley and have got to the stage where you connect to a workstation, and sort the drivers and pronterface. Initially the huxley was connected to a windows 7 workstation, which strangely enough did actually detect first time round what the device was and detected in pronterface. I unplugged it briefly, and after connecting it, windows wouldn't recognise the device anymore and no amount of attempting to uninstall and reinstall drivers didnt help.

So I gave up with windows and installed Ubuntu 14.10. when I connect the device and do lsusb, it lists the device as follows:

Bus 004 Device 002: ID 0403:0000 Future Technology Devices International, Ltd H4SMK 7 Port Hub

Additionally pronterface won't display the device either.

According to the build instructions, the huxley should appear as /dev/ttyUSB0 , however this does not exist. I've added the user account to the group "dialout" just to be on the safe side, but that still hasnt helped.

I've spent some time researching the problem, and it appears the huxley should appear as:

Bus 003 Device 010: ID 0403:6001 Future Technology Devices International, Ltd FT232 USB-Serial (UART) IC

Potentially the reason it now doesn't appear as this is because when it was connected to windows, the product ID was altered, and now the suggested method of resolving this is installing FTDI_prog and changing the ID back.

Problem is this method requires a windows system, which I don't have anymore, and really before I go ahead and attempt this and wanted to know if anyone else knew a solution for this?
Re: Huxley - Ubuntu USB driver issue
October 25, 2014 11:18AM
OK, so I resolved the issue by setting back the ID to 6001 using ft_prog, on a virtual windows image. Ubuntu now sees the Huxley correctly, and Pronterface has automatically populated the port with "/dev/ttyUSB0". I click connect and nothing seems to have happen, the status window on the right just states "Connecting..." this never gets any further. Any ideas?
October 26, 2014 09:18PM
I had to patch the Ubuntu serial driver to get it to work at 250,000 baud... it could be that (Ubuntu does not like setting "non-standard" baud rates without a patch).

More info here.

[groups.google.com]

More seriously, there has been a recent update to FTDI devices that make bootleg varieties "zone out". I don't think it's that but I mention it as a possible cause.

[hackaday.com]
October 27, 2014 01:06PM
Some customers have been struggling with this, too. There is a thread in the main forum here: [forums.reprap.org] . I posted a workaround, here: [forums.reprap.org]

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
October 27, 2014 03:21PM
I've just discovered I can't upload files via the arduino IDE either. Currently getting the error:

avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding

Using Arduino IDE v1.0.4, serial port is ticked, and Melzi 1284p 16mhz is selected under boards.

What is causing this?

Also pronterface on windows now does exactly the same as Ubuntu, drivers seem to install correctly upon plugging device in, gets detected on COM4, pronterface detects it, but still states connecting. Something has really gone wrong ever since that initial connection to windows and the product ID was altered to 0000 confused smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2014 03:43PM by 3d@thegallery.
November 03, 2014 02:16PM
For anyone else having a similar issue, I resolved the problem of pronterface not proceeding any further than "connecting..." by pressing the reset button on the printer and waiting the 10 seconds for it to come back. I find if you open pronterface, press connect, and reset the printer, I get a response back.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login