Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Huxley Melzi firmware problem

Posted by RobertEdwards 
Huxley Melzi firmware problem
September 17, 2014 07:28AM
I have recently finished building the Reprappro Huxley 3D printer. It uses a melzi ardentissimo control board with a ATmega644p controller based on sanguinololu. I have attempted to upload the marlin firmware using the Arduino IDE. The port has been recognised however the board does not appear in the list the as sanguino 644

Attempting to compile results in many errors on the windows 7 platform and on the mac because the sanguino board does not appear on the board list

the firmware was from this link [github.com] and clicking on download zip for Windows.

Can anyone help me please
Re: Huxley Melzi firmware problem
September 17, 2014 08:31AM
The IDE will only offer Sanguino if it has a Sanguino board support library folder in its hardware folder. It doesn't change the options depending on what is connected.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
September 18, 2014 12:03PM
Start here
[reprappro.com]

Then have a look here as well.
[www.geeetech.com]
and follow the Gen 7 IDE support link for more information.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2014 12:05PM by 3Dmaker4U.
September 19, 2014 10:17AM
Thank you guys. I now have it working and am very close to being able to make the first print.

However, I'm unclear about the commissioning with regard to Z height. This is from the set up notes:-

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Set your Z height
With the head at Z0, the tip of the nozzle should be within a paper thickness away
from the surface of the bed. To achieve this, follow the sequence:
HOME ALL
Send the following command: G1 Zz F200, where z=the height of your
measured object.
CENTRE
Check that the head is within 0.3mm of your object.
For Huxley, adjust the height of the Z axis endstop, or for Mendel rotate the
adjustment screw, and repeat until your height is set.

I have set the limit switch so that the nozzle is just clear of the bed as instructed. However, I don't know what is meant by the OBJECT and checking that the head is within 0.3mm from it.

Can anyone explain this please?

I forgot to say in my first post that my Melzi board is the pre August 2012 version that has been superceded. I am using the archived instructions which do match exactly with what I am finding.
September 19, 2014 02:43PM
Any object that you can measure the exact height of to act as a feeler gauge. I use an 8 or 10mm smooth rod and roll it under the nozzle.

I am not sure about the 0.3mm and "paper thickness away". Paper is normally about 0.2mm. I always calibrate my machines so that Z = 0 is when the nozzle touches the bed, although I never go to Z = 0. Maybe RRP have a different convention.

So if I use a 10mm rod I calibrate so the nozzle just grazes it when Z = 10. For fine tuning I let it extrude the skirt around and object and check the thickness of that is exactly what the first layer height is.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
September 19, 2014 07:01PM
Thank you Nophead. So, in fact for a 10mm rod where Z=10 actually equates to Z=0 when the nozzle just clears the bed at a 'paper thickness'.

There's a lot more to setting up than I had realised! What with skirts, layer thickness etc.

I think that I can now have a crack at my first print.

As a matter of interest which slicing programme do you use? I am also trying to determine the best feed rate for 1.5mm PLA with a 0.3mm nozzle. The literature suggests 80mm/min. Do you have a view on this?
October 10, 2014 08:23PM
float homing_feedrate[] = HOMING_FEEDRATE; any one has a step by step solution for this error from MARLIN folder keep pupping up
January 04, 2015 06:09AM
Hello, you should check your extruding steps per min.
e_steps_per_mm = (motor_steps_per_rev * driver_microstep) * (big_gear_teeth / small_gear_teeth) / (hob_effective_diameter * pi)

And you can see more at the calibration guide

[reprap.org].

Everything of 3D printer. www.3dminions.com
[www.facebook.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login