Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Hot end comes on full power as soon as Huxly is plugged in.

Posted by LarsIslander 
Hot end comes on full power as soon as Huxly is plugged in.
April 22, 2013 05:53AM
Hi Guys,

I have got a weird problem with my Huxley that I have had now for about a moth but not had the time to look into it, so the printer has been on the shelf.

I am using Melzi v2 electronics.

When I plug the Huxley into the mains, the heating element (I have both a standard Huxley resistor and a nichrome winding hot end) goes full power. If the power is not cut within 20-30 seconds the hot end element burns out. I am not sure if the first burn out has also damaged the PTFE components on the hot end.

In Pronterface, the temperature sensors all read back the expected results, so I think the problem is with the PWM on the hot-end output, or that the mosfet that switches the hot end has been damaged and is jammed 'on'. I checked it out with a multi-meter and it seems to be OK.

I don't want to have to buy a new controller, and would prefer not to have to change the mosfet if I can.

Has anyone had this before, and is there any other problem that could be causing the symptoms?

Thanks,
- Lars
Re: Hot end comes on full power as soon as Huxly is plugged in.
May 06, 2013 09:25AM
SOLVED!

See the other thread here:
[forums.reprap.org]

My solution was a bit hacky, but hopefully it will help anyone else who has a similar problem.

I can't edit the title of this thread, if appropriate, can a mod' change the title to solved or merge this with the linked thread?

Cheers all,
- Lars
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login