Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

My hot end thermistor input probably died...?

Posted by Joghurt 
My hot end thermistor input probably died...?
December 25, 2012 11:21AM
Today I finished assembling my Christmas Huxley. Wohoo! smiling smiley

Comissioning and the first print went just fine, everything as expected, the temperature of the bed and the extruder moved up to where I wanted them and stayed there.

After that successful first try I wanted to print another thing, for that I commanded the extruder and bed to warm up and searched for a good object to test, and while I searched I looked at the Huxley and there was smoke coming out of the extruder eye popping smiley, and the PLA under it, which has dripped out first ok then in kind of a a blob, looked like the extruder resistor just kept heating and didn't stop in time. Of course I pulled all the plugs in an instance.

Now Pronterface shows me a solid 168.9°C for the Heater, and I can't do a thing to change that, even unscrewing the thermistor won't change anything. sad smiley

The thermistor itself seems to be ok, I get 880 Ohms for 23°C at the moment, and it becomes less when I put my fingers on the aluminum block with the thermistor in it.

The bed input is ok, it's down to 23°C in Printerface at the moment.

So I would say the analog input for the extruder thermistor died, but how?? confused smiley
I really kept an eye on the isolations while assembling, wrapped the metall parts of both the thermistor and the resistor in the hot end in heat shrink tube and everything.

Do I have to buy another Melzi or is there a work-around?
Re: My hot end thermistor input probably died...?
December 25, 2012 03:25PM
Ok, looks like I can use one of the spare pins A1 to A4 (JP14, the rightmost four pins in the lower row). smiling smiley
I downloaded the actual Marlin firmware and modified TEMP_0_PIN in pins.h from A7 to A4, looks good, so far.

Does anyone know what parts to use to "emulate" the voltage-to-degrees-circuit used with the extruder thermistor?
Is that a simple voltage divider or what?
December 25, 2012 05:08PM
Nope, A4 is connected to the red status LED "L1" for debugging reason, so I'm not using that one. thumbs down

Looks like the voltage-to-degrees-circuit indeed is a voltage divider consisting of a 4.7kOhm resistor against 5V and the thermistor with a 4.7uF capacitor parallel against ground (the latter for signal smoothing?)... smileys with beer
December 31, 2012 04:41PM
The analog input could be damaged if the thermistor shorts to 12V on the heater resistor, but I think your thermistor should read much higher, common ones in use are 10k or 100k at room temperature. I would test the board with a known good thermistor.
My Huxley too is reporting -273c and moreover both heatbed n hotend not heating up.
I saw some smoke out of etemp.may be there was a shortcircuit between heater n thermistor.
But everything else is fine with printer.
Any solution for a possible repair?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login